Necessary programs to have

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
What are some basic programs that are needed, but are not part of Windows XP?
I don't have the ability to do streaming video, but I can load up small videos if I want to wait.
I know that I need the basics, like a firewall and antivirus............. but what else for viewing what I see on the net?

How about "readers" for PDF files.

What "players" are the most commonly ones encountered?
Adobe Shockwave Player? AdobeFlash Player? WM player? Quicktime?

I'm planning to format one of these days, and just want to know what is considered necessessary above and beyond the XP program itself.

Basically, what are considered most necessary for reading and viewing the things found on websites?

Welcome . If you need a program to run a certain file it will let you know , and give you the download link.

Reason I asked, is that to get any larger programs loaded up, I need to go 25 miles to a friends place to do it using their high download speed. Here at the Bat Cave, even something as little a 20MB literally takes many hours to load.
I figured that the more I can download on a single trip makes the process easier and more cost efficient. Might as well load up anything big while I am down there.
The more I can download when I do this, the better. I just don't know how many different viewers or players similar to "WMP" can play other program formats.
It would be too easy if one player, or one viewer could do it all. (I live in a dream world)

I can just wait and see what won't work once I format and install XP, ............and then, as I do searches, write down what won't work, .......................and do them on a different trip if they are large files.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Free file viewer, can read all files.

I think I tried something like that................ the name sounds familiar, and I recall the old confuzer didn't like it. Might have been a similar sounding name.

I figure since my friend has a really fast download speed, I could download more programs than I need.................. they can always be deleted.

I got this 'new to me' computer a couple weeks ago................it's only 5 years old. :eek: Man...............that's like brand new by my standards. It's so new it don't even have an internal slot to install a dialup modem. :eek:
It's a lot sexier inside than my old one too, with 4 slots of RAM, a Pentium 4 and more USB and cable connections than the old computer. No name on the case, so I suspect it may have been custom built.
I need to format it and start from scratch. Previous use was a business, and deleting the old files are a headache since I can't tell which programs are XP and which ones were added.
I am using the4 new computer now after buying an external USB modem. This modem is a lot faster than the old computer, especially when loading up the visually informative, multiple email photos that my flooring friends send me. :eek: :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back