New engineered hardwood installed by contractor, many hollow spots

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The famous 20 years response. Usually a red flag. It was mentioned that tile was removed. At this point, I would say the insurance budget can go out the window since it's not like kind replacement. If the money isn't enough to do it right, its the GCs job to have that conversation with the customer. Should know that after 20 years.

This is indeed a shitty situation. When gluing down engineered hardwood there's always going to be spots that need to be weighed down. Cupped/warped planks, Minor low spots, etc. The whole situation probably could have been remedied with a few sandbags, glue buckets, tool boxes...... anything with some weight.

The good news is that it can be saved by a competent floor installer. It'll take some time and finesse but can be done. If the areas that are hollow aren't that big and the low point is not that low, pulling the planks, regluing & weighting down the area should take care of it.

But as said above, document everything and don't sign ANYTHING until the job is acceptable to you and the wife. And most importantly, hold on to any money owed for that part of the job!
I did a bamboo job years ago and my boss didn't want to level the floor. I used an OBSCENE amount of glue and a pallet VCT + existing boxes of bamboo + glue buckets + tool boxes every night doing barely 200square feet a day. There were virtually no voids (hollow spots) and it's been over ten years still stuck down well in a community center in Irvine open to the public.

Attachments

• woodfloor 007.JPG
    woodfloor 007.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Marco Winter Formal 2009 008.JPG
    Marco Winter Formal 2009 008.JPG
    143.6 KB · Views: 46
  • eee 018.JPG
    eee 018.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 47
I did a bamboo job years ago and my boss didn't want to level the floor. I used an OBSCENE amount of glue and a pallet VCT + existing boxes of bamboo + glue buckets + tool boxes every night doing barely 200square feet a day. There were virtually no voids (hollow spots) and it's been over ten years still stuck down well in a community center in Irvine open to the public.
Geez! That probably cost more it time and adhesive than leveling the floor would have?

At this point, I would say the insurance budget can go out the window since it's not like kind replacement.

I think that sums it up right there.

You have to give them at least one shot at repairing it. If they can’t repair it to your satisfaction and refuse to replace it then you should get an independent inspector. If the inspection report finds it to be a faulty installation and they still won’t replace it then court is your only option.

You're getting some excellent advice.
The adhesive, or "glue" is not a filler. What a crock.
Hiring an idependant inspector is the only way you're going to know where you stand.

Latest posts

Back