No work

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
I never judge the economy by how busy I am. I did get a call about work this week, but right now I really am not looking hard for work. I talked to another local installer today. He has been around here for about 35 years. He says, it's dead. He hasn't worked in two weeks and doesn't have any sure things coming up. He says there was never any income tax return surge this year. I had been thinking about trying to get back in the rat race this summer. Not so sure now.

I'm kind of watching the snow melt here also. I've done $63 worth of binding in the last month. Got a 12x12 to bind and back when the carpet comes in the first of the week but that is all that is on the string right now. Not looking good.

Daris

I have acually been working a bit, tho not much has been floor related. I cut my hourly rate to $18 and gas costs me 10 bucks a day............... but it's 20+ hours a week I wouldn't have otherwise.
The home owner told me when I got done with his carpet, not to set anything up, becuase he had a lot of work for me around his place. Been doing everything from blending in sheetrock, in an attempt to match the 90 year old plaster texture, sanding the base door and window trims to make it paint ready. Most of the paint prep is cutting off layers of paint runs and drips, and removing dents and other damage and reshaping them so you can see the molding profile once again.
I've installed wide crown moldings, door trim, removing some siding. installing some siding........ helping the owner install a winch in his fancy toy hauler. Spent some time replacing hinges and realigning some built in closet doors in the hallway. Moving furniture to their new office and setting up some partitions. I'm just getting started on a staircase......... checking to see how far out the stringers are in preparation for new treads and risers. It's fun and no pressure. The owners are fun to work for.
I'm a handyman now I guess.
To fill in, I keep getting asked to do carpet restretches and seam repairs by a local shop (putting fires out)
I did a repair/restretch last weekend, have another restretch this coming week if I have time, and yesterday, was asked to go look at a crappy seam on an installation that isn't even done yet.
Seems like I am more busy that I was a while back, but not getting rich.

Pretty slow here for union work in the Los Angeles area. Just enough hours to keep me off unemployment with a good job every once in a while to get some full, 40 hour weeks and the occasional overtime. It's all typical for this time of year in the New World Order economy------post financial collapse.

Latest posts

Back