Opinions on layout

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

etarasoff

Hi All,

Posting this here to get an "impartial" jury opinion on a laminate install I just had done. The problem is that the racking here ended up with a repeating staircase/diagonal pattern throughout most of the job. The picture attached is an example of what I'm talking about.

I grew up around flooring and my parents owned a flooring store, so I believe I have some knowledge around this area and feel this just ain't right.

Agree or disagree?

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0094009/photos/41995548@N05/9167428069/

That's what happens when you follow the instructions. Only a few will alert you to stair stepping in the installation instructions. This person should have broken up the pattern. Prolly a carpet installer wannabe laminate/hardwood guy.

Thats horrible and the installer should be ashamed of him/herself. I alway try and skip every four or five rows before a repeat location on a short seam.

etarasoff said:
... feel this just ain't right.

Yeah, repetitive patterns should be avoided. Most experienced clic installers are aware of this. But check the install instructions to determine whether it's right or wrong.

The "instructions" are very good guidelines however common sense should prevail. Stair stepping is lazy and ugly regardless of what the instructions say.

The "instructions" are very good guidelines however common sense should prevail. Stair stepping is lazy and ugly regardless of what the instructions say.

There's no accounting for taste...

wood-floor-end-joints-lined-up.JPG

Yup, many just tell you about end joint spacing, and Mavens picture shows end joint spacing that has acceptable industy end joint spacing.

Ernesto said:
Yup, many just tell you about end joint spacing, and Mavens picture shows end joint spacing that has acceptable industy end joint spacing.

I see it all the time with vinyl tile in the super stores. I think it helps em lineup the racks etc.

Yeah, repetitive patterns should be avoided. Most experienced clic installers are aware of this. But check the install instructions to determine whether it's right or wrong.

Could be uniformity. Or else less waste. I have not seen it myself with vinyl planks. Might be a fluke like your pic. Have seen the seen the same thing in residential.
Its like doing a brick pattern on a floor. But then I find that created more waste.hmmmm.

Acceptable and requested are two different things. They ASKED you to do that? Based on your other pictures that I have seen and your regular posting in this forum I KNOW that you are an accomplished installer so there is no way you can be held accoutable for this atrocity, lol!

Ken said:
They ASKED you to do that?

It was a DIYer project. I was there doing something else, don't remember but I found it interesting and snapped a pic.

Thats horrible and the installer should be ashamed of him/herself. I alway try and skip every four or five rows before a repeat location on a short seam.

Have you noticed that this was the guys first and last topic/comment ?
Re read his opening sentence.

Last edited:
I blame the architect, mostly clueless about how wood floors should be installed. But then these are all the same sized planks and not to long either so this may help eliminate installers using to short of pieces. ? Just a guess. Then the consumers sees it and thinks thats the way it should be done.

Latest posts

Back