Pergo laminate possibly faulty

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweezer

After waiting 3 days for 50+ boxes of Pergo to acclimate, home depot started to install but after laying some boards realized something wasn't quite right.
The seams/edges where the laminate come together weren't exactly "smooth" and you could see a slight ridge especially with light hitting the floors.

I'm wondering exactly how "smooth" the floor should be. I know it's not going to be perfect everywhere but the installer seemed to thing it was odd and his supervisor told me he wouldn't accept that in his own home.

Home Depot swapped the Pergo out same day, but the new stuff has to sit for 3 more days to acclimate. They swore this new shipment was a totally different batch so it shouldn't be faulty.

Anyone seen this before? Should laminate be totally smooth between boards where you run your finger nail across and feel practically no bump?

Wow, this is ironic. I just stopped one of my crews yesterday from installing some pergo we thought "just wasn't right". I do some work for the other "big" store and the guys are right. Sometimes you just feel like something's fishy and have to stop. The floor should lay smooth to the touch and sometimes, especially with pergo lately, you just get a bad batch.

Sounds like you got a good installer. Many of those guys would have installed it, and if it got replaced on warranty, would have installed it again.

Floorist,
I always show the customer whenever something like this happens and let them decide. I usually push them to get another batch but sometimes, especially around here, the property is just a rental and they want it installed anyway. More often we get a new batch.

Ken, in my area, you would be the exception. I have had stores try to get me to install defective flooring many times. Then tell me that I would get paid to install it again when the mill replaces it. But of course, I refuse. Sometimes they would just send another installer.

I'm the exception in my area too, lol. I have had stores ask me if I can "make it work" and I always decline. I have had them try to send another installer but I have a real good relationship with them and I'm very quick to call their BS. I talk to their boss on a regular basis and I'm the one the boss calls when he has a question, haha.

Floorist,
I always show the customer whenever something like this happens and let them decide. .

Exactly what I do. They are the ones paying for it, so I'll explain in detail what I believe to be an issue, then let them make the call. Most of the time they say it's something they can live with or they hardly even notice it. They do appreciate the up front honesty too.

Latest posts

Back