Running funny

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
1995 Chevy Lumina 3.8 V6. Runs great when it's bitterly cold outside. When it's warm outside, it surges when first started and seems to load up sitting and idling in gear. Runs good out on the hiway at 70. OBD1 code reader works on 86 thru 94. OBD2 works on 96 up.
Have tried the little fork you can put across code terminals to make the check engine light blink codes and it doesn't work. I know it's either the throttle body or a sensor, problem is, which one? If I replace them all it is probably $500.
Anyone familiar with an ALDL code reader?

1995 Chevy Lumina 3.8 V6. Runs great when it's bitterly cold outside. When it's warm outside, it surges when first started and seems to load up sitting and idling in gear. Runs good out on the hiway at 70. OBD1 code reader works on 86 thru 94. OBD2 works on 96 up.
Have tried the little fork you can put across code terminals to make the check engine light blink codes and it doesn't work. I know it's either the throttle body or a sensor, problem is, which one? If I replace them all it is probably $500.
Anyone familiar with an ALDL code reader?
I think surging can be caused by a faulty TPS Throttle Position Sensor.
Yours is OBD1?
A loose or cracked vacuum line might be another cause.

Last edited:
This is the response I got when asking the question on the link I provided. Courtesy of member, Hmac300

"If it's a 14 pin connector then you are in trouble, as that is the obd1.5 system. If it has more than 14 then it's obd 2 and you can go to auto parts to get it scanned. Otherwise you'll need to find a Tech 2 tester that can read that."

Hope this helps.

This is the response I got when asking the question on the link I provided. Courtesy of member, Hmac300

"If it's a 14 pin connector then you are in trouble, as that is the obd1.5 system. If it has more than 14 then it's obd 2 and you can go to auto parts to get it scanned. Otherwise you'll need to find a Tech 2 tester that can read that."

Hope this helps.

Like I posted above, mine isn't OBD1 or OBD2 according to the books.

:eek: You bought a car from Rod Serling? :eek:

That said.......... does the check engine light come on when you turn the ignition to the on position? .........OK ...............is the bulb working? :D

Check engine light is on all the time. For some reason, OBD1 and 2 code readers don't work on most 1995 models.
My check engine light is on all the time too............. I'm betting it's because someone removed the electric oil pressure sensor and replaced it with a mechanical gauge.
I'll do some checking. I can't imagine a year without OBD once they started doing it.

It has only 12 places. Two rows of six. The last one on the right on each row has a connector. And on the bottom row, the third from the right.

I finally had time to look.

Latest posts

Back