Some help needed with LVT

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4girl

My grandpa has a motorized scooter, which apparently weighs a lot… It’s chewed through the carpet that was in their house, and then it ate through click-lock planks within a year.

We decided to install glue down LVT in hopes that it can withstand those caster wheels digging into the floor when he spins around in the kitchen or living room (major wear areas).

The subfloor in the bedrooms is VCT, so I think it should hold up okay with glue down vinyl on top of it, however the subfloor in most parts of the house is plywood.

I’m concerned that the plywood will give a little resulting in the vinyl to get chewed up.

I was going to put a skim coat of Henry 547 mixed with the Henry 546 additive instead of using water (which apparently makes it stronger and gives it a little flex) to make the plywood more resilient.

Will this be suffice under the vinyl to withstand the abuse of that scooter?

Is it possible the skim coat will crumble underneath the scooter wheels?

Also, could/should I lay down a few sheets of 22 gauge steel in the major wear areas to increase the rigidity under the vinyl?

Thank you so much for reading this far.

If the vinyl is being thought about because the carpet was destroyed, would carpet still be acceptable?
I'm thinking about carpet tiles not stretched in or glued down. Tiles are much tougher than any standard commercial carpet in a situation like that.

Done a couple houses for people with motorized wheel chairs/ scooters. Glue down LVP and glue down carpet tiles will hold up to the abuse nicely.
That’s a relief. Thanks!

Does this include over plywood subfloor?

If I put a thin layer of skim coat over the plywood, will that potentially crumble underneath the vinyl after the abuse from a scooter?

That’s a relief. Thanks!

Does this include over plywood subfloor?

If I put a thin layer of skim coat over the plywood, will that potentially crumble underneath the vinyl after the abuse from a scooter?
1/4" ply would be a far better choice than skim coat and that's most applicable for the heavy traffic. Don't cheap out on the ply. Go with the premium UNDERLAYMENT quality. I agree carpet tiles or glue down LVT will be fine. Again, because of you intended use I'd really lean towards a premium brand and if they offer a heavier gauge. We typically put 3/4MM in commercial applications for many years. Later the trend was for 5/7/9MM goods in schools and such. One of the reasons was to flush out with carpet or carpet tiles and eliminate the transition strips that constantly failed.

Latest posts

Back