Spoiled Rotten

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incognito

Professional
Pro
So after you've eaten the BEST pizza on earth regularly you take for granted that it's what a pizza is supposed to be. Then you travel around and........eventually figure it out. This is the best Goddamn pizza ON EARTH.

If they're lucky some places that have real Italians like New York, Boston.....where ever....that's not the point....they might come close.

So far I haven't found anything like Pepe's.

http://gothamist.com/2014/10/17/new_haven_pizza_guide.php#photo-1

Last edited:
I sure miss THAT about living back East.

In Southern California you can go anywhere and get a piss poor excuse for pizza. For the life of me I don't get it.
A friend and I went down to the desert in the early 80's. On the way back, we spent the night in Solvang. First stop was for pizza. Took it back to the motel to eat it............ one bite and we tossed it in the trash. Looked in the phone book and found a Round Table.......... I recall the pizza being decent, and the beer was plentiful. Don't remember much else. :D

NJ use to have good pie , But the south americans are taken them over , Trying to pass off as Italian.

NJ use to have good pie , But the south americans are taken them over , Trying to pass off as Italian.

There was a place call Aldolino's just a few blocks down the street. Aldolino was the pizza tosser you might remember from an I Love Lucy episode where she gets hired to make pizza. It's pretty funny. Anyways, Aldolino's son owned the joint and it wasn't horrible. Crust was way too thick but otherwise not bad. They sold out. The new owners kept the name. I hadn't been in 5-10 years. Went in one night for a sit down pizza dinner. It sucked. Didn't even resemble the old pie.

In San Gabriel and now Glendora there's a place called Petrillos. That's the closest I can find to a decent pie. Again, crust is way too thick. But everything else is excellent-------NOT the kind of pie I'm used to from Frank Pepe in New Haven but I drive past a dozen pizza "restaurants" to get a Petrillos.

I hate seeing the WRONG ethnicity in the kitchen of a restaurant. If I want Mexican food I want to see Mexicans back there. If I want an Italian meal I expect to see an Italian (looking) person in the kitchen.

Went to Benihana once and the guy showing off with the knife was a Mexican.

THAT doesn't work in any way.

There was a place call Aldolino's just a few blocks down the street. Aldolino was the pizza tosser you might remember from an I Love Lucy episode where she gets hired to make pizza. It's pretty funny. Anyways, Aldolino's son owned the joint and it wasn't horrible. Crust was way too thick but otherwise not bad. They sold out. The new owners kept the name. I hadn't been in 5-10 years. Went in one night for a sit down pizza dinner. It sucked. Didn't even resemble the old pie.

In San Gabriel and now Glendora there's a place called Petrillos. That's the closest I can find to a decent pie. Again, crust is way too thick. But everything else is excellent-------NOT the kind of pie I'm used to from Frank Pepe in New Haven but I drive past a dozen pizza "restaurants" to get a Petrillos.

I hate seeing the WRONG ethnicity in the kitchen of a restaurant. If I want Mexican food I want to see Mexicans back there. If I want an Italian meal I expect to see an Italian (looking) person in the kitchen.

How about a Dairy Queen? :D

Time to break out the cement overshoes.:D

To cold . Cement won't cure .:)

Winter themomter.gif

How about a Dairy Queen? :D

I haven't been to Dairy Queen in well over 30 years.

No particular reason. They're not real big out there. I had to Google map search to find the local ones as I did recall seeing some but couldn't even recall where any of them near me are located.

Been to both Petrillo's and Aldolino's many (actually thousand's of times). Petrillo's does have the best pizza around, but for just general Italian food, Aldolino's is on the top of my list. As a motor officer, as soon as the staff saw the motorcycle driving in the parking lot, they were cooking up that great fresh hot bread, and would make me an antipasto salad. Went there 4-5 days a week for 7 years.

Dammit In, now you got me craving their shrimp pasta dish. Guess I'll be headed there in the next few days!

The new owner of Aldo's is a chef in a fancy-ass restaurant in Pasadena. He comes to Aldo's early in the morning and makes all the sauces himself. The shrimp pasta sauce is infused with a few Asian spices, giving it a taste unlike any other. My nephew, who is a personal chef for the stars in Hawaii, actually flew to California to learn how he made this speciality.

Our local donut shop is owned by a Chinese couple. Nice people, but seems odd to me.

Been to both Petrillo's and Aldolino's many (actually thousand's of times). Petrillo's does have the best pizza around, but for just general Italian food, Aldolino's is on the top of my list. As a motor officer, as soon as the staff saw the motorcycle driving in the parking lot, they were cooking up that great fresh hot bread, and would make me an antipasto salad. Went there 4-5 days a week for 7 years.

Dammit In, now you got me craving their shrimp pasta dish. Guess I'll be headed there in the next few days!

I did like the bread. Weird thing is the pizza had that same taste. I waited over 45 minutes for my pizza and I wasn't happy about that as my wife and her mom and sister got their meals much sooner.

Do you know when the new owners bought the place?

Our local donut shop is owned by a Chinese couple. Nice people, but seems odd to me.

Out here if it's not a chain like Krispy Kreme then it's Koreans who run the donut shops. Used to get really weak coffee in those places for years til I got spoiled with the fancy stuff from places like Starbucks. Now I make a pot myself in the morning before I leave the house and that's it for me.

Latest posts

Back