Subfloor Moisture Content

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernesto

Professional
Pro
Just converted this to a jpeg. Took me a few minutes...ok ok, well I asked my kid cus I was gonna scan it and convert, then my kid came in and did it in one minute, no scanning. Smarty pants kids these days.

subfloor moisture content.jpg

I scrolled through the newer FPL hand book and didn't see this in there. Thought for sure it was in the old one. The new hand book has pretty color pictures.

So let me get this straight. If the RH is 40 then the MC in OSB should be 3.6!?!? My meter doesnt even read that low! Why the heck isnt this stuff more consitent? There are knuckleheads nailing anything that at one time had leaves on it into everything short of concrete but I try and run my business like a professional and cant even figure out the stupid moisture content of a damn subfloor!?!?! wth?

So let me get this straight. If the RH is 40 then the MC in OSB should be 3.6!?!? My meter doesnt even read that low! Why the heck isnt this stuff more consitent? There are knuckleheads nailing anything that at one time had leaves on it into everything short of concrete but I try and run my business like a professional and cant even figure out the stupid moisture content of a damn subfloor!?!?! wth?

LOL And here is another couple wrenches to throw in there.

1) Meters have a + or- of a degree or two.

2) Lee was telling me they tested several meters at his Guild and they all read different to a degree or two.

3) You need to have a calibration checking tool made by your manufacturer or send it in every so often for a calibration check. That can get exoensive.

I just had my Tramex pin meter fixed cus the top cracked. They had to send it all the way to Ireland and back. Cost, $214.50, $70 of which was calibration. No shipping cost cept to get it to Black Hawk sales in CO.
I have a set of 3 calibration plugs to check it.

Sorry E , :D I was on a job site and i wasn't getting any readings at all , even on the joists . Tandy sent me his Meter and i was able to get readings .
They recalibrated it for me .
Now to get this Novocaine to wear off so i can eat dinner . :D

Sorry E , :D I was on a job site and i wasn't getting any readings at all , even on the joists . Tandy sent me his Meter and i was able to get readings .
They recalibrated it for me .
Now to get this Novocaine to wear off so i can eat dinner . :D

Oh, I'm sure they charged me cus I broke the top. Then I took it apart and tried to solder some wires back together. Some things fell out. :D It was a mess.

I coulda probably almost bought a new one but I have the hammer probe to go with it so I had it fixed. Good as new.

I have the delmhorst J-2000. No hammer probe just the two little pins. The thing cost me $350. What's the benefit to having the big one if I can take the same reading? I don't do any unfinished product. I only install prefinished. Am I well prepared for what I handle? I also that silly yellow pen thing that they called a hygrometer but the temp is never right. I held it next to the thermostat in my house which read 68F and the hygrometer read 76F. I can't win with these stupid things. I'm just going to hold the wood next to my face from now on and if it feels wet, I won't install it yet. Seems just as accurate as what im doing now.

I have the delmhorst J-2000. No hammer probe just the two little pins. The thing cost me $350. What's the benefit to having the big one if I can take the same reading? I don't do any unfinished product. I only install prefinished. Am I well prepared for what I handle? I also that silly yellow pen thing that they called a hygrometer but the temp is never right. I held it next to the thermostat in my house which read 68F and the hygrometer read 76F. I can't win with these stupid things. I'm just going to hold the wood next to my face from now on and if it feels wet, I won't install it yet. Seems just as accurate as what im doing now.

Not familiar with the pen thing they have, is that an rh sensor for insitu testing? Typically I find my professional meters are more accurate than any other sensor like one thats on your home thermostat or especially a radio shack one. :) I'm sure RS has high and low grade thermohygrometers. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back