Table saws

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarisMulkin

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
I burnt up my jobsite table saw this week. It was a Craftsman. I've heard that Craftsman is no longer good quality so leaning at a Ridged from HD. I looked a Dewalt but they are pricey with a stand. I can get just the saw but don't see a way of mounting it to the stand I have from the Craftsman. The Ridged comes with stand, then I could use the stand I have for another tool. I know that the Dewalt has a 5 star rating across the board and the Ridged isn't quite that high. So what is you opinion. Remember I'm a hobby carpenter, and definitely not a finish carpenter.

Daris

I wouldn't waste your time as far as cheaping out just go straight for the dewalt all we ever use and they last years we have one that's going on year 6

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bosch is nice we have the new model aswell but the width adjuster dosent have a crank so it not extremely accurate like you need for doing stairs etc

Yeah, I also like them. Most saw stops run an additional $400, so the price really jumps. However, if you consider the price for stitches or an amputation, that is nothing.

When I did my buddy across the street's parquet I didn't have time to finish a bunch of tiny cuts. He was helping me and bragging how many years he worked "construction" (in a shop) without any injury. So happens I went out of town the next morning andl left it to him to finish. He cut the tip of his thumb off with the table saw and wound up in the emergency room. He really didn't know how to use the saw and I had been trying to scold him every time he went near it but he wouldn't listen. Now I call him Lefty.

I pay $100 co-pay for an emergency room visit.

My worry is kids growing up in shop classes that have those saws, and them never having respect for power tools knowing/assuming that you can't get hurt by them. Can you imagine the instructor showing the kids the hot dog test, then knowing they will try something really stupid. ...you just know they will. ..........on the bright side, what they did will end up on you tube so we can see it.:D

Last edited:
IIRC, about $70 + blade. If you're cutting something and hit metal that will set it off. Another mfgr (Bosch?) is looking to sell another system that isn't so expensive when it triggers, but I think that is still hung up in the courts (infringes on sawstop patents).

If I had kids I'd raise hell if the school shop didn't have Sawstop table saws. Kids do dumb things and a lifetime injury is a high price for one moment of inattention. If I was responsible for a school or business shop I would have Sawstop saws. The liability for an accident is too high to not have them.

Latest posts

Back