Things life throws at you

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
We've had some of the driest weather on the books out here, and last week we had a heck of a lightening storm (995 strikes) without the rain and walla, we got some fires burning. The one behind my house is pushing 3000 acres and headed down the hill to our house and 4 of my neighbors. Less than a mile away. We received the first evacuation advisory last week and it's still holding. There's about 300 people in the Valley. Kinda puts everything else on hold.

http://www.ktvl.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/ktvl_vid_13391.shtml

Last edited:
That's scary Darol. What can one do in a situation like that? Hope the winds blow in your favor!

Good luck Darol. I had my house burn to the Ground years ago . Burned all the hair off my head trying to get people out .

My motto now is if you can't pee on it and put it out . Head for a new location.

Burned all the hair off my head trying to get people out .
Dam!! That sounds terrible. A guy went back in to a house on fire last winter here to get his little dog and never came out. Tough call.

The fire people are all around the place with fire breaks cut in several places. They say that they'll stay at each house with two fire rigs as long as they can, then they hit the road. If the conditions remain as they have been in the last two days, we should be fine. Fingers crossed.

Metal roof or shingles? From what I've seen those shingle roofs in CA are not good. Wonder if you can fire proof shingles.

Metal roof. Board and bat cedar siding though. In this country, metal is a must with the heavy snows. There's a few I see around with comp or shakes, but not so smart in my way of thinking.

Yeah those shingles are explosive in firestorms. The siding is not quite as worse for falling hot cinders. Better hose that shit down. Clear cut around the house!

The problem with the fire on top of our mountain was close proximity to large trees when the fire gets up in the bows, and lots of needles and branches on the forest floor. Makins for a bad fire. That fire burnt everything in it's path.

I was reading this. http://inspectapedia.com/roof/Wood_Shingle_Roofs4.htm

The one behind the house is the Log Fire. The bigger one over a couple ridges is the Whites Fire. Both are in what's called the July Complex. First picture is the Whites from yesterday. Our place is behind the first ridge below the smoke.

P8111345.jpg

P8111347.jpg

P8111346.jpg

Latest posts

Back