Photography 2

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Photoshop and Lightroom can be had for $10 / month. The best part is you get the updated version free. So you’ve always got the latest greatest. Lightroom just added some denoising capabilities to it. It’s not as good as DxO pure raw 4, but pretty good though and I am sure it will only get better.

City park

connie.jpg

I missed the Pileated woody fly by on the golf course Tues, but the other golfer who saw him was freaking out.
Most people are pretty shocked at how big they are when they finally see one up close. They can also be very frenetic after they land on a tree. They look like a meth head, they move so quickly trying to catch something to eat on a tree. They never sit still much.

Well fellas, here's a little update...

I'm working hard to get my site up and running. Whew, create, test, create, test....what a time hog.

Business phone showed up about a day ago. Business cards are supposed to be here today. I haven't done a website in a while. I forgot how much design work goes into it. Thank God I'm not hand coding it or I'd never get done. I've got the home page on and it's public. I've got a lot more done but I've got it turned off for now until I finish testing everything. It's definitely a bit of work for sure, but I'm also enjoying it.

Meanwhile, on my walk Wednesday night, I went to the marsh by my office. It's managed by an organization called the Little River Wetlands Project. As I was hiking back near one of the maintenance buildings, there was a little that works for LRWP and she had a bunch of kids with her and their dad and they were catching (or trying to catch) tadpoles. I said hello and kept on hiking. On my way back, she stopped me and asked if I walked out there a lot and took photos. I showed her my phone, which has about 300 edited bird images on my iCloud account. She was very excited to see them. Anyway, the older gentleman that was with the group asked if he could see them. After several oohs and ahhhs, he told me he's the manager of Hampton Inn that's right near the marsh and they try and promote the marsh as much as possible. He asked me if I'd be willing to place some prints at their hotel with my name and information. Of course I said, sure. It's free advertising, and they'll be seen by a lot of people. I called him yesterday to follow-up and set up a meeting today. During the call he mentioned they own other hotels near the marsh and asked if I'd be interested in showing prints there as well. I don't have to provide any frames our mounts, so it's a pretty cheap deal for a lot of exposure. Kind of excited that he liked my work well enough to ask! It's great to hear praise from friends and family, but it's a whole other feeling to hear it from a total stranger who wants to actually show your work. I also think the LRWP office would like a couple of prints to show as well. So, 3 new outlets to show things is a good start, I think. One of the guys I follow as a photographer said this is exactly how he got his start. So, thanks again to all you guys and I'll let you know how it goes.

Here's an Eastern Bluebird for good luck...
BirdBrain Hero 3.jpg

Here's an Eastern Bluebird for good luck...
The Bluebird/ Universe is showing off 👍 for you CFR, and I’m feeling joy for you and this potential partnership. All your hard work, therapy, play and preparation is coming around, best of skill to you 😉

Not sure what we have to do with it 🤪, but Your welcome for sure 😎

Thanks for those kind words!

You guys have been very supportive and encouraging and having positive feedback has been a large factor in overcoming my self-doubts that I was "good enough".

I ended up buying a professional grade printer. I figured out I'm going to need that. If no other reason than to produce high quality prints that I can exhibit with other businesses like this. I can also use it for customers who contact me directly and are local. I can do it myself cheaper and faster than working with a vendor and ordering something and having to have it shipped, possible damage, delays, etc. Working with the drop-ship vendor will work much better with the website than for the "getting seen" / advertising "customer" that I'm dealing with face-to-face.

Plus, if I ever wanted to participate in some type of a "show", like an artist's fair or something, I could actually take the thing with me and create the print and frame it on the spot if I needed to.

I bought a Canon Pro 300. Man, this thing is freaking huge! It weighs about 80 lbs. It'll do a 13" x 19" poster size print in really, really high resolution. A bit spendy, but it's made for what I'm using it for vs. trying to do something with a standard home or business printer. This thing has got 10 pigment ink containers for the various colors vs. a higher-grade dye-based ink cartridge home printer with 4 or sometimes 5 colors.

Meeting went great, the prints are delivered and now back to work on my website. :)

Thanks for those kind words!

You guys have been very supportive and encouraging and having positive feedback has been a large factor in overcoming my self-doubts that I was "good enough".

I ended up buying a professional grade printer. I figured out I'm going to need that. If no other reason than to produce high quality prints that I can exhibit with other businesses like this. I can also use it for customers who contact me directly and are local. I can do it myself cheaper and faster than working with a vendor and ordering something and having to have it shipped, possible damage, delays, etc. Working with the drop-ship vendor will work much better with the website than for the "getting seen" / advertising "customer" that I'm dealing with face-to-face.

Plus, if I ever wanted to participate in some type of a "show", like an artist's fair or something, I could actually take the thing with me and create the print and frame it on the spot if I needed to.

I bought a Canon Pro 300. Man, this thing is freaking huge! It weighs about 80 lbs. It'll do a 13" x 19" poster size print in really, really high resolution. A bit spendy, but it's made for what I'm using it for vs. trying to do something with a standard home or business printer. This thing has got 10 pigment ink containers for the various colors vs. a higher-grade dye-based ink cartridge home printer with 4 or sometimes 5 colors.

Meeting went great, the prints are delivered and now back to work on my website. :)
A good long lasting print is important. I haven't kept up with the technology. Is the dye oil based?

Came across this one. I shot a seagull a long time ago. Probably with my 300L and possibly with the 1.4 converter. The scan was so so and this is off my 2013 HP screen.

Attachments

• IMG_20240506_082251606.jpg
    IMG_20240506_082251606.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 0
A good long lasting print is important. I haven't kept up with the technology. Is the dye oil based?
Both dye-based and pigment-based printer inks are water based. The main difference is in the particle size. Dye based inks are at the molecular level - i.e. much smaller particles while pigment- based inks are at the particle level, floating in the solution, i.e. much larger particles.

As a result, the dye-based inks will absorb into the paper much more than pigment-based inks. The pigment-based inks sit on the surface of the paper / media, and as a result, form a much more durable, longer lasting, and highly UV resistant print. They estimate that images created with pigment inks will last about 200 years before beginning to show signs of aging/fading. Dye-based inks can show significant fading in a few years on lower end inks up to about 25 years on the higher end.

Dye based inks can generally provide brighter, more vibrant colors with less color combinations, while pigment-based inks need more color variations (more ink tanks) to match the brightness of dye-based inks. However, pigment-based inks offer a greater depth of color range and when used in combination with textured papers can provide ultimate depth and realism in the image.

At least that's why I've learned so far anyway....:);)

Latest posts

Back