Tile on pier and beam?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboggin

First off, thanks in advance to anyone who can help me! Okay, so I tiled my kitchen, but my house is on a concrete slab. I'm now helping my girlfriend with her floor, but her house is pier and beam, and I realize that raises new questions. I'm going to be as detailed as possible with two questions. For some reference, we plan on using 1 inch mosaic tiles in her bathroom.

1. Can we even lay tile on pier and beam? I know that cracking is a risk, but we plan on using hardiback and Ditra, so that should help. One thing I've come across in various forums is that when people ask that question, other people respond with stuff about joist length, etc. I don't understand joists at all. Like, at all. If anyone knows, could you explain what kind of joist situation we need to lay tile? I know that some people say that if the joists aren't a certain way, we can't lay ceramic tile.

2. Assuming the joists are ok, what do we need in terms of subfloor? The bathroom is currently covered in linoleum. Do we need to tear up the linoleum, or can we lay plywood on top of the linoleum? Should we then add a layer of hardibacker (or should we use something else?) on top of the plywood, and then follow with a layer of ditra on top of the hardibacker?

Sorry for the super long questions. As I said before, I managed to tile my floor, so I get the basics of how it's done. I'm just not familiar with pier and beam. I really, really, really appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Thanks!!!

Latest posts

Back