underlayment thickness

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atcgamer74

I have purchased a 7mm laminte flooring, 7.60 in wide, with a 15 year warranty and a AC3 rating. It does not have padding attached so I purchased foam padding,(cause i am installing over plywood floors on 1st & 2nd floor). I did not notice the foam thickness when purchased online from Wayfair and now see I can not return. The foam padding I have is 1.5875 mm thick (1/16"). I have read multiple internet sites and all reference 3mm (1/8") thick foam padding. My laminate floor instructions do not suggest a minimum thickness.
Can I use a 1.5875 thick foam padding, or am I stuck with it and need to buy 3mm thick padding? :confused:
Also my wife asked if we could double lay the 1.5mm padding
that we have?:confused:

Any help woud be welcomed and appreciated! :D

The underlayment you're describing is common. Two layers or double the thickness of that product won't have a discernible difference.

It is safe/common to use the 1.5875 thick foam padding in a single layer, on a second floor bedroom? Or would thicker be better for noise dampaning?

I like soundsolutions or floormuffler. Quickstep used to have a rigid underlayment you could use under the regular cushion for that. It was a foam/foil combo pad.

Latest posts

Back