Vinyl Flooring With Silicone

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oddney

HI and thank you for accepting to the forum

I had some work done in my kitchen, some vinyl/lino flooring installed, but the installer used silicone to stick the vinyl flooring down.
I'm I right to say that you would only use the silicone to seal the edges once,

I only ask because there is a strong small of silicone days and a few weeks after.

he did silicone all the work surfaces also just to seal them, but i have never know anyone to stick vinyl flooring down with silicone .

PS he said it was evo-stik all weather adhesive.

Can't buy it in the US. Looks like what we call a pressure sensitive adhesive. Just about all adhesives have some lingering odor. Call the manufacturers tech line and they should have some idea how long it will smell.

Was this the adhesive? It's the only thing I saw that said all weather. What was the name of the flooring?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927-064523.png
    Screenshot_20230927-064523.png
    215.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm confused, the poster was thinking he used silicone, but I didn't see silicone on the manufacturers site.
I'm thinking there was just a lot of silicone around the perimeter, on top, not underneath.
Some silicones are super stinky until fully cured.

I'm confused, the poster was thinking he used silicone, but I didn't see silicone on the manufacturers site.
I'm thinking there was just a lot of silicone around the perimeter, on top, not underneath.
In the UK, they make a full-spread adhesive that is silicone. Saw it on a UK flooring forum.

The less expensive tubes of silicone really do stink for a day or so but when we’re talking about spending $7 a tube vs $12 I can see why people buy the stinky stuff. Same thing with paint thinner vs mineral spirits, you can save a buck but it’s gonna stink for a few. Not really the best idea in an occupied residential situation.

It looks like what they sell in the bucket is not a pressure sensitive adhesive. It is meant for wet applications. (Ie do not let it gas off) so would be fine for a felt or paperback sheet vinyl.
If they used the other product and just applied with a caulking gun, then that is a big no, and your manufacturer would likely consider any warranty void.

The less expensive tubes of silicone really do stink for a day or so but when we’re talking about spending $7 a tube vs $12 I can see why people buy the stinky stuff. Same thing with paint thinner vs mineral spirits, you can save a buck but it’s gonna stink for a few. Not really the best idea in an occupied residential situation.
I don't buy it, the customer gets it on their bill.

I never tried any of their adhesives. I just watched one of their videos on this adhesive and it looked like it was being spread with an 1/8 by 1/8 V notch trowel. It wasn't, but looked like a ton of adhesive.

Latest posts

Back