Vinyl Plank Install Questions

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goffja2000

Hello,

I will be installing a Vinyl Plank flooring on a cement slab in a basement bedroom that had a leak during a heavy rain and damaged the 20 year old carpet and pad. I was able to correct the cause of the leak and the cement slab in the basement seems to be dry. I taped a piece of plastic in the area that had the most water on it and didn't have any water drops on it after 36 hours.

My first question is on the underlayment. The floating LVP has an underlayment pad on it already. Would this work as a moisture barrier to put between the plank and the floor? Fortifiber 70-195 Tile Underlayment Roll, 500 sq. ft., Brown - Carpet Underlayments - Amazon.com

The other question I have is the transition from this bedroom to the carpeting in the main room. The carpet was the same between the bedroom and main room of the basement so it was run as a single piece throughout the basement. There isn't a tack strip down at the entrance in to this room. The carpet that is staying in the main room outside of this bedroom is stretched and connected approximately 15 feet in each direction of the room. I'm wondering what the best way would be to transition from the carpeted area to the new LVP area at the entrance of the bedroom.

Do not add any more underlayment than what is attached to the floor. If you want a vapor barrier then get a roll of plastic and duct tape the seams.

As for finishing the carpet, you will need a piece of tackless in that doorway because it's on concrete. Whatever floor you have will also sell trim pieces. A baby threshold works well in this situation because it gives you a little to tuck to. There's a couple different options for this but that's the easiest and diy friendly

Latest posts

Back