Wanting to upgrade OS

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyure

Going to upgrade a few things on my rig, not sure if it means I need a new OS tho. I was thinking Win7 over my vista.
Nick and I recently did a major clean-up. Thanks Nick!
My problem is that I'm getting black screens while streaming(tried different browser) but also and most importantly while playing online game, World of tanks to be precise, it goes blank/crashes even set at lowest setting in game. Sometimes the window pops up nvidia experience crashed/searching for solution. So I'm getting new vid card for one. So win7?

Last edited:
Ugh, I'm no tech guy and get by on a self built rig that dates back to 2011.
That said, I'm not likely to upgrade soon afterwards. Maybe I should go back to playing outside like when I was 10.

can you give the specifics of the nvidia graphics card on the computer? Also the OS of the computer, and memory on-board.

I clean a lot of confusers ,so once they are clean i delete the logs .

To cold to play outside K .:D

Nvidia Geforce 9800 gt. Vista OS. DDR3 memory 4 mb? Not sure, just looking at cpuz for info.
It's a home made rig built by my brother back in early 2011.
Was going to purchase those upgrades I sent to your email but haven't yet because I am wondering if I need a new OS as well.
Edit- I run core temp and it's consistent around 30-35. I keep the area fairly clean of dusty bunnies and don't smoke.

Last edited:
It does . Send it to me so i can check your core tempture, [etc].

Just hit the print screen icon - save as - paste it into your e mail.

It does . Send it to me so i can check your core tempture, [etc].

Just hit the print screen icon - save as - paste it into your e mail.

do you mean go file/print to text? It's huge. if you want me to copy paste to email?

Idle temps are great.

Now with speccy open. run a video in a manner where you can still monitor the temps.

Yes the temps will update as you monitor it.

Send results.

Hey Nick thanks. Do you mean try playing a game or streaming a movie to see if temps change in the program?

Yes. Open Speccy first - check the minus icon at the top on the right side of the program to send it down to the system screen.

Start playing a game or streaming a movie - Open speccy on the bottom of the dvd screen and see how high the temp goes.

Sorry been busy. So I streamed a video and the temps were 20's except vid card 44.
I was thinking about re installing vista fresh since it's been since 2011? whadaya think

Not a good Idea . Still freezing ? I wouldn't take the chance of not being able to get the security updates .

We'll fix it .

Thanks for quick reply. It didn't go black screen. I'm going to try playing the game. that's where it's worse.
I was thinking of just replacing the vid card andgo from there.

Fantastic temps. Jealous in fact.

Normally I have found that the air passages on the video cards get partially plugged up and that causes overheating and black out and shut down/lockups of the computers.

Removing the cards and using canned air to clean out the passages and then using alcohol and something like q-tips to clean the fan blades, then use a pencil erasure to clean the contacts before re-inserting the card has been the fix that I have used for years.

Try that first before you buy a new card .

Ok. finally got a chance to test my vid card after a cleaning. Temp is good, well hasn't changed. but when I try and play a game I get really bad lagging and this time I kept an eye on the fps which was jumping considerably from 10-200. When it got low which it did alot I got serious lag. Windows 7? new vid card?

Latest posts

Back