What do you reckon?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

In memory...
Supporting Member
Pro
Got this email from house owner wanting me to fix this
You would think somebody with an average brain one could see the gap is where the bench toe space doesn't hit the floor

This is the photo sent to us with her comments

"As discussed, here is a photo of the scruffy lino edge in the kitchen upstairs. There's an area under the sliding door where the trim doesn't quite meet the floor. In some places, the lino is neatly slipped underneath the trim but at others, the lino has a jagged edge which is visible and which creates a big gap between the trim and the lino where crumbs can gather. Could this be tidied up please?

No carpet layers appeared yesterday but I presume that they will come this morning instead."

photo.jpg

I reckon the installer also scored the wood with his blade when cutting erratic. A good flat bar will take care of it.

Daris

Daris that picture is taken onto the face of the toespace of the kitchen unit. The vinyl actually goes under the toespace.
My point is why are the owners asking the kitchen fellas why didn't they scribe the toespace to the floor? It is the kitchen installers gap Not the flooring peoples

Looks free handed to me but I'd just offer to put up some matching shoe for a couple hundred pounds. Those type gaps are not the installers problem and shoulda had shoe there in the first place. It is considered a finishing touch round these parts. Looks like Mahogony.

Looks free handed to me but I'd just offer to put up some matching shoe for a couple hundred pounds. Those type gaps are not the installers problem and shoulda had shoe there in the first place. It is considered a finishing touch round these parts. Looks like Mahogony.

It was actually patterned . That slash was where I cut the vinyl under to far and I had trouble getting it tucked under the gap so I slashed some of the extra off. 2mm commercial vinyl in a domestic situation

She has a fair complaint though
She should be ringing the guys who installed the bench unit and they can put a new timber upstand on not the flooring guys
This job was actually a rush job the week before Xmas and every man and his dog was there. At the last minute owners decided to replace the existing doors with new ones so the carpet was kinda laid while they were waiting for the new door frames and doors to be made.

All doors and cabinets are usually shimmed somewhat. I think it's the installers duty to finish it off, shoulda been included in your bid. :D Don't you guys put on trim anyways over vinyl to stop curling?

All doors and cabinets are usually shimmed somewhat. I think it's the installers duty to finish it off, shoulda been included in your bid. :D Don't you guys put on trim anyways over vinyl to stop curling?

When the doors and door frames are fitted they then finish off with the architraves around the doors then put the skirting boards on. This was the trouble for the carpet layer none of this was there. Also if he had laid the carpet the door frames would have been sitting on top of the carpet and the skirting boards would have all had to be trimmed to make them the same hight as the existing skirting boards
We never put any trim onthe vinyl as it is cut neatly into the skirting boards and now days with these plastic backings the vinyls will not curl.
See we earn our money hard by cutting into the skirting boards :D

Caulking is King round these parts. ;) Heck when I was just a lad doing my time with the boss we even put shoe down over carpet.

If anything is up off the floor like a door frame, window metal, toe kick that was NOT to receive base or molding we would assume it needs to be caulked or silicone.

I don't always do it 100% of the time if I think it looks OK and will perform fine without caulk or silicone but leaving a gap I couldn't possibly charge a customer who complained for a callback (trip charge) to make it look pretty.

Just came across an AWFUL window metal about 5/8" up off the slab in a small room I did today. I tried to caulk it but ran out halfway through. So I doctored it up the best I could. Worst case scenario I have to go back over then and slop a whole tube of caulk in that void. I'm 99.9% confident no one cares. I don't do any residential work to speak of an my customers don't care so much to get down on their knees and take a macro zoom digital photo and send it off to my boss. If they want to play that game I'll be out there next project with my macro zoom digital photos and they'll be F'n sorry the opened up that can of worms.

Latest posts

Back