Would you consider this to be a professional installation?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I just joined and am anxious about the installation job for my CoreTec Dakota Walnut that is in progress. I took the attached images to document the progress the sub-contractors had made on my renovation. After viewing the images later, I noticed quite a few of what I consider to be mistakes regarding the placement of identical planks adjacent to each other and a massive step and repeat pattern in the layout, which I had assumed would instead be free-flowing like every image I recall ever having seen of an LPV installation.

The general contractor said he did not see anything wrong with the installation, and he became defensive when I said the layout looked like an amateur did it and I expected a professional installation. The general contractor said that the installer had done thirty jobs for him, that no client had ever expressed concern, and that my renovation job was becoming tedious.

So, I wanted to get what I hope is an unbiased opinion of others.

Thank you for reading my post.

Attachments

• IMG-4832.jpg
    IMG-4832.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG-4836.jpg
    IMG-4836.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4837.jpg
    IMG-4837.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-4833.jpg
    IMG-4833.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Overall it looks nice, but I do see the repetitive step down ( every 3rd plank ) look you’re referring too . Could they have randomized that better ? Probably, but let’s hear from some of the professionals, as I’m a Carpet Man. I couldn’t find the image of the duplicate plank.

Your floor looks like LVP to me. I see the stagger and plank placement but once you get all your furniture and stuff back in place you’ll be looking at your interior as a whole instead of focusing on the floor as the only thing you see. If it really bothers you then you better say something now while the job is still in progress. You’ll likely get some pushback but you are the customer.

I think you’re prolly more miffed at your contractors response to your concerns, and I prolly would be too. That shit would get under my skin. Difference between you n I is I would F with dude over this for the rest of the job and I think you should too. For starters every time I saw dude I would comment how tedious of a job your house is but luckily you don’t have to worry because ‘X’ has done 30 jobs for you and not one single soul has complained. Am I at Allstate cus I sure feel like I’m in good hands right now.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg, I got more of you need em.

I have OCD, and the planned random, using 1/3rd. 2/3rds, and full plank, just does not look like random. I like using 5-6 different cuts, so nowhere would you be able to draw a straight line from plank tip to plank tip in any diagonal direction. I've only had my LVP for 3 years, and it has not floated my boat. I believe I will soon demo it all out and start over using a wider, ceramic plank.

I have OCD, and the planned random, using 1/3rd. 2/3rds, and full plank, just does not look like random. I like using 5-6 different cuts, so nowhere would you be able to draw a straight line from plank tip to plank tip in any diagonal direction. I've only had my LVP for 3 years, and it has not floated my boat. I believe I will soon demo it all out and start over using a wider, ceramic plank.

Nice explanation havasu and by that assessment, using Math as the guide , 3 separate lengths vs 6 makes the installation half as good as it could have been.

As a side 📝 my memory is taking me to the Wisdom of Dobby ( David Hunt ) as it relates to the hidden meaning of being professional. It’s more about an attitude, a graceful and respectful approach with one’s vocation, rather than a title. Best of luck trying to activate this attitude, rather than re-activating his defensiveness. Ultimately it’s up to him to listen and learn.

PS> Each job is a learning experience for us contractors, but only if we are willing to listen. The information you are about to share with this contractor takes guts, so I commend you if you go through with it, and remember, in the end your bravery will be more beneficial to him than you. He could actually listen, learn and increase the skill on the next one.

Last edited:
I think you’re prolly more miffed at your contractors response to your concerns, and I prolly would be too. That shit would get under my skin. Difference between you n I is I would F with dude over this for the rest of the job and I think you should too.
CAS, C. J. Is appx. 265.00 and 6’7” so he can F ( be sarcastically friendly 😜 ) with almost anyone 😂. But I’m sure you will take a different approach. Keep us in the loop as to the outcome because we both, customer and contractors can learn from each others experiences.

✌️

CAS, C. J. Is appx. 265.00 and 6’7” so he can F ( be sarcastically friendly 😜 ) with almost anyone 😂. But I’m sure you will take a different approach. Keep us in the loop as to the outcome because we both, customer and contractors can learn from each others experiences.

✌️

That’s Tom who is the giant. I’m 5’10 and 175 but I can bust balls with the best of em, especially when they ask for it.

This "style" of installation is such a common occurance in the industry I dont think I could claim it's unprofessional even though it's a pet peeve of mine as a professional. According to Industry Standards it's acceptable. By that I mean if something is being done regularly and deemed accaptable by everyone for years and years it becomes standard regardless of textbook flaws or manufacturer's spece. AS far as how to negotiate this home installation I really don't have a clue how it could play out if push comes to shove.

Looks hella bad to me. Seems like they intentionally used a 3 tile pattern, which is not how I've ever seen it done by a pro but then where the wall juts out they don't even line that up properly.
By far the majority of installs out here use this stagger. I bought this house with LVT in the kitchen and of course it's got the 3-tile stagger.

Thank you to each of you for your reply. I met the general contractor at the site today to discuss the flooring, and I am not making this up; as I walked in, I heard an unfamiliar "hello" coming from upstairs, and right after that, this giant dude walked down the stairs that I had met once before when the bidding was being done. Still, it must have been winter or something. Maybe he he had a coat on then, or maybe he had been doing pushups, waiting for me to get there because I do not remember him being so big his arms looked as big as my thighs, and he looked like he was jacked up because he was kind of flexing but acting like he was not flexing.

Then, the general contractor came down the stairs and reminded me that I had already run off one contractor, and they both asked me what the problem was. I showed them how a perfectly straight line could be drawn from the opposite to clear across the living area every couple of feet, using the ends of the planks as a guide. And they said yes, we know that every floor we do looks like that, so what is the problem? So I take out my phone to Google an image of a flowing layout pattern, and I will be damned, but the first image that came up looked exactly like my flooring's layout, and there was a big green check mark next to it.

They said had they known that I wanted a flowing pattern, they would have done that, and I said that they had not asked, and then they said if I wanted to change the layout pattern, it would be between $5 and $7K. So, I said well, I guess I will spend that money instead on some nice area rugs to cover it up so I can move back in since the renovation project started on June 6.

I will take CJ's advice, put my furniture in there, and then try not to think about it.

Thank you all again.

You know what. I am pissed. When I look at the images again I get the sense that the installer is either mental or he hates me for some reason which I would not know because he does not speak English. For example in the image looking down from the stairs onto the living area there are several of the same plank that looks like a porpoise nose on the left, which is the only plank out of all the planks that I dislike because when they are next to another one of the same it is a dead give away that this is LVP and unfortunately they are in an area where there will not be a rug or furniture.

Would it be OK to get another box of the LVP, cut one or both of those porpoise nose planks out, trim off the locking edge of a plank that I do like from the new box and glue it down to fill the space? There are also three identical planks with the dark area on their right side to the right and there are another three at the foot of the first stair tread.

If so what glue would you recommend?

Perhaps, although just a minute ago, I sent instructions for the entire entry hall flooring to be redone. Concerning the main living area and other areas I have considered forcing the issue but there are other aspects of the renovation that have worked in my favor due to concessions by the contractor.

porpoise nose

This project for you is understandably personal and I get it, but trust me when I say, the porpoise nose will one day, down the road magically disappear after today’s heightened examination slowly unwinds.

Should we send tile tom and C. J. over after they do some push ups 😜

Keep venting as needed, we are here for you 😎

Thank you for the advice MSLI. The project supervisor's manager is now my point person for the renovation and has agreed to make other concessions in exchange for letting the floor be. I told them I did not want all their profit to be eaten for the sake of replacing my floor, and he let out an audible sigh of relief.

Well, I guess I will close this string now since this seems to be resolved.

That’s Tom who is the giant. I’m 5’10 and 175 but I can bust balls with the best of em, especially when they ask for it.
That is me. 6’ 6” and 275.

And that’s right CJ. Don’t take shit from ANYONE! I tell all the fighters at the boxing club, size means nothing! If someone is giving you shit, give it right back 10 fold. 9/10 their bluffing and will back down the first time you speak up.
Same goes on the job site. Can’t tell you how many times I got into it with other tradesman. But to be fair, I usually win just by getting up off the floor. Being 6’ 6” & 275 while being blasted in ink has its perks…. Sometimes

How about I don't allow a Honey Badger to eat Cobras for a week and then leave it in a closet they have not yet gotten to? Or a Komodo Dragon that has not swallowed an entire pig in over a month may be even better. Or a Honey Badger and a Komodo Dragon together, plus a Cobra.

Have you ever seen what a Honey Badger does after getting bit by the Cobra he is trying to eat? You can see this on YouTube. The Honey Badger passes out, wakes up, and finishes eating the Cobra.

In either of these ways, I have no blood on my hands, and the animals are not guilty because they were doing what they usually do in the wild, except they somehow got into my house.

But then my floor would be bloody, and no one would be left to finish the job. I have had to stay in a hotel since June 6 and would like to move back into my place, so I think I will have to get over this with time. I went back over there tonight, and it was not so bad. Maybe I was just shocked at first. I still would like to know if it would work to cut out a plank and drop a new one in its place after trimming off the channel ledge grip running along one edge of it so I can break up the extra pattern the installer added when he thought it was a good idea to group planks having the same pattern together.

Maybe I was just shocked at first. I still would like to know if it would work to cut out a plank and drop a new one in its place after trimming off the channel ledge grip running along one edge of it so I can break up the extra pattern
Nice venting ! 😎 …..The Carpet man says yes it’s possible because we have discussed this scenario before, but please wait until the 🦡 leaves the premises , back to her natural habitat 😜 Then decide. 🤣 ….. Good Job sticking up for yourself and hopefully teaching the contractors a new way to be with their customers.

✌️

Latest posts

Back