2nd coat timing

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinfoley

My polyurethane says recoat in 4hours ....how do I know its safe to go on to do without leaving marks in it???

My polyurethane says recoat in 4hours ....how do I know its safe to go on to do without leaving marks in it???
What is the name brand and type of poly? Oil or Water based?
They will state the approximate minimum and maximum re-coat times before you need to sand before applying a second coat, or how soon you can re-coat without doing any sanding.
What surface are you putting this poly on?
How long ago was it if any stain was applied?
Was the stain oil based?
What are the temperature and jobsite conditions like? 55 degrees and 20% humidity? 75 degrees and 80% humidity?
More info is better.

Last edited:
Super fast dry for floors.... patched a few spots with dyain yesterday....4 hour recoat it says on can...10 or longer gotta sand

We charge more when we gotta fix it. Take your time. It's a process.

Just did the first coat of poly...it wasnt very fun....kept trying to get all lint off the floor and I did clean the floor beforehand....I think its stuff coming out of applicator.....did not get it all....what now...

Just did the first coat of poly...it wasnt very fun....kept trying to get all lint off the floor and I did clean the floor beforehand....I think its stuff coming out of applicator.....did not get it all....what now...

What brand was the applicator and what is it made of?

Floor finish applicator by ettore from do it center ....should I wipe down floor with mineral spirits before second coat...would that help

........and be sure the store gave you an applicator made for the oil based poly. The one I posted a link for earlier was made for water based poly.
I'm not sure of the best way to 'pre-clean' the new pad to get rid of those loose fibers.

Latest posts

Back