3/4" Hardwood Top of Stairs Hallway Install

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpotoo

I am installing 3/4" hardwood in a hallway at the top of our stairs and am looking for advice on how to install with the existing stair nose and stair riser. I am thinking I need to cut flush the current nose to put the new nose on top of it. If this is correct, I am then not sure what to do on each side where the existing nose goes into the existing riser.

Also, with the install of a new nose, It looks like I will increase the height if the top step on the top stair 3/4's of an inch and wonder the impact that will have on going up and down the stairs.

Attached are a couple pictures...any guidence on how to best proceed would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

What was on the hallway floor before? Has the landing nosing in the picture always been there? Stairs will not change? Are all the riser heights, including the top step to the landing within code?

The floor was carpeted.

Yes, the nose has been there, under carpet.

The stairs will not change and yes, all are within vode

Thank you!!

Cut the nosing overhang off the nosing piece that is there. Where it goes into the skirt bard you can cut it off flush and paint it to match.....you can make this cut with an oscillating multi tool. Or you can pull it out and use wood filler and paint to match. If the carpeting came over the stair nosing and you are replacing the carpeting with hardwood flooring then you are essentially keeping the riser height the same.

Cut it off and replace the riser too or the new nosing won't cover the cut.

Latest posts

Back