32 gb hd

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
I Discovered I don't have a hard drive in the hp 1200 notebook. emmc? Kind of a glorified, soldered in place flash drive. Never knew they made such a thang. :confused:
I discovered this while looking for the notebook specs online. Oh well, the notebook works.
I also found that that I can't get any more W10 upgrades. With just 32GB, 19GB is eatin' up by the factory W10 program. Other programs take up 2.5GB........... then after buying this thing, W10 does the first "upgrade" (it's a 2016 model) Now I only have 5 GB left........... so windows tries to do another "upgrade" It is 6GB :eek: ..and when it tries to do the install, it says I don't have enough disc space. It's done this twice in 2 days. OK ............so I can't get any new "upgrades", but it's gonna pop up and tell me that ever day for eternity? :rolleyes:

I Discovered I don't have a hard drive in the hp 1200 notebook. emmc? Kind of a glorified, soldered in place flash drive. Never knew they made such a thang. :confused:
I discovered this while looking for the notebook specs online. Oh well, the notebook works.
I also found that that I can't get any more W10 upgrades. With just 32GB, 19GB is eatin' up by the factory W10 program. Other programs take up 2.5GB........... then after buying this thing, W10 does the first "upgrade" (it's a 2016 model) Now I only have 5 GB left........... so windows tries to do another "upgrade" It is 6GB :eek: ..and when it tries to do the install, it says I don't have enough disc space. It's done this twice in 2 days. OK ............so I can't get any new "upgrades", but it's gonna pop up and tell me that ever day for eternity? :rolleyes:

Can't you add an external HD?

To block the upgrade by using Computer Configuration, follow these steps:
Click Computer Configuration.
Click Policies.
Click Administrative Templates.
Click Windows Components.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.

Following the steps in the video will free up a lot of space ..

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't you add an external HD?
I'm sure it can, but I' just use flash drives to save and transfer stuff. Regular old hard drives don't work as fast when full, so I figured this one is mostly used up right out of the box. Just seems strange to have such a small "HD" if the system uses the majority of it. Kinda like selling a pickup with 85% of the bed loaded with gravel that you can't remove.

Click Policies.
Click Windows Update.
Double-click Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update.
Click Enable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0L8tGCSxg

Thanks Nick. I'll check out the video when I get a chance.

Last edited:
I'm sure it can, but I' just use flash drives to save and transfer stuff. Regular old hard drives don't work as fast when full, so I figured this one is mostly used up right out of the box. Just seems strange to have such a small "HD" if the system uses the majority of it. Kinda like selling a pickup with 85% of the bed loaded with gravel that you can't remove.

Thanks Nick. I'll check out the video when I get a chance.

My wife bought a Chromebook for classes. Turned out the schools programs won't run on it.

Choose Start→Run to open the Run dialog box. Type msconfig in the Open text box and click OK.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears, displaying seven tabs. Each tab contains settings for various elements of your PC.

Click the Services tab.
You see a long list of the current software services running in Windows.
Click the Startup tab.
This tab lists the programs that launch every time you start your machine.Click the Tools tab.
It lists the software tools you can use to inspect or troubleshoot your system. (Interestingly, Microsoft’s help-desk technicians may use the same tools to help you uncover and repair a problem with your computer.)
When you’re ready to get on with other computer tasks, click the OK button.
The System Configuration Utility dialog box closes.

You can uncheck items in the start up that you don't need to run in the background . They will start when you click on them ..

Check Start - Run - Copy & paste msconfig in the open box.
For XP[/I]
Under Services un-check the following . [some may not show up depending on the build of your OS].

1. Alerter
2. Clipboard
3. Computer browser
4. Fast user switching
5. Human Interface Access Devices
6. Indexing Service. [ Slows down the hard drive].
7. Messenger
8. Net Logon [Unnecessary unless networked on a Domain
9. Networking Remote Desktop Sharing. [ Disabled for extra Security].
10. Remote Desktop Help Session Manager. [Disabled for extra Security].
11. Remote Procedure Call Locator
12. Remote Registry. [Disabled for extra Security].
13. Routing & Remote Access. [Disabled for extra Security].
14. Server
15. SSDP Discovery Service.[This is for the utterly pointless “ Universal P’n’P”.& leaves TCP
16.Port 5000 wide open.
17. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper.
18. Telnet. [Disabled for extra Security].
19. Universal Plug & Play Device Host.
20. Upload Manager.
21. Windows Time .
22. Wireless Zero Configuration. [for Wireless networks].
23. Workstation.

This should help you Hi ..

Check Start - Run - Copy & paste msconfig in the open box.
For XP[/I]
Under Services un-check the following . [some may not show up depending on the build of your OS].

1. Alerter
2. Clipboard
3. Computer browser
4. Fast user switching
5. Human Interface Access Devices
6. Indexing Service. [ Slows down the hard drive].
7. Messenger
8. Net Logon [Unnecessary unless networked on a Domain
9. Networking Remote Desktop Sharing. [ Disabled for extra Security].
10. Remote Desktop Help Session Manager. [Disabled for extra Security].
11. Remote Procedure Call Locator
12. Remote Registry. [Disabled for extra Security].
13. Routing & Remote Access. [Disabled for extra Security].
14. Server
15. SSDP Discovery Service.[This is for the utterly pointless “ Universal P’n’P”.& leaves TCP
16.Port 5000 wide open.
17. TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper.
18. Telnet. [Disabled for extra Security].
19. Universal Plug & Play Device Host.
20. Upload Manager.
21. Windows Time .
22. Wireless Zero Configuration. [for Wireless networks].
23. Workstation.

This should help you Hi ..

Aren't those for XP? The only two of those shown in W10 Services are computer browser and remote procedure call locator (RPC).

I'm more concerned about stopping that update window that keeps showing up and asking me to make space available for the update................ or upgrade.
I have 5gb of space available on the drive and the update/upgrade needs 8gb....... so that just ain't gonna happen. I wished I could have prevented the first upgrade because it ate up a huge amount of space.

Last edited:
Click Policies.
Click Windows Update.
Click Enable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0L8tGCSxg

'Computer configuration' isn't visible anywhere.
'Computer management' is there, but 'Policies' isn't under the 'management' tab.
Can't view the video at home with my dialup, so I haven't checked that out yet.

Check Start - Run - Copy & paste msconfig in the open box. That is the sys con utility. Check tools - Sys Properties - Launch - Uncheck automatic updates ..

See if that works for you ..

Check Start - Run - Copy & paste msconfig in the open box. That is the sys con utility. Check tools - Sys Properties - Launch - Uncheck automatic updates ..

See if that works for you ..
System Properties > launch just takes me to the "system" page. Displays my system, processor 64 bit, computer name, Domain and work group settings, Windows activation status and product ID.
No box to check or uncheck. Description of System Properties just says, View basic information about your computer.

Latest posts

Back