4mm SPC vinyl above garage floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ingvar.black

Hi, all,

I have SPC 4mm vinyl(with click-lock) to install on concrete floor to replace bloated laminate, but a subcontractor says that I should have chosen laminate since vinyl is very cold. My floor is a concrete slab above an underground garage, is there a way to effectively isolate from the cold using an underlayment(e.g. 1.5mm polypropylene foam vapor barrier)?

You won’t get that much insulating properties out of something that thin. Secondly, but more important, is how solid is whatever you may install for an underlayment. 4mm click lock will have to be installed over something solid otherwise the T&G mechanisms will start to fail from repeated flexing due to being installed over an insufficient underlayment.

IMO laminate is just as cold as SPC. If I changed anything about your setup I would ditch the 4mm SPC for a quality, and thicker, LVP.

Read the substrate requirements. One of them will certainly be SOLID.........in addition to clean, smooth, flat, dry.......etc. Foam is not solid so there would be movement that causes the joints to fail.

Do you know what sleepers are?

1692245609639.jpeg

Latest posts

Back