Carpet padding

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Can someone please explain how important the carpet padding is. After you all talked me out of laminate at my Lake Havasu place, I've decided just to replace the carpeting. The company wants 89 cents per foot for their best padding. Is it worth it?

You don't say what type of padding, how thick it is, what's it made of, density, and the list goes on. That works out to $8.01 a sq. yd. pretty pricey in my book. Most top pads in my area retail around $5 a sq. yd. max.

Daris

Sorry. They want to install Scotchgard foam 1/2 carpet pad, which is costing $8.01 a yard, or $792.99 additional for it. They are also wanting to charge me $136 to haul away the 99 yards of carpeting, and an additional $890 to move the furniture out of the 2 bedroom home. Yikes! And yes, it is your favorite place, Home Depot.

You're getting ripped off. Ask them if they have a mirror you can borrow to see if you have any milk on your face . ;)

7/16" 8lb rebond pad is a good pad for around $3.00 a yd in a store .

I don't know how they do it where you live Hav, But we just cut it in 3' sections
and leave it at the curb for the trash men.

Average price for furniture is $1.00 a yd .

You're getting ripped off. Ask them if they have a mirror you can borrow to see if you have any milk on your face . ;)

7/16" 8lb rebond pad is a good pad for around $3.00 a yd in a store .

I don't know how they do it where you live Hav, But we just cut it in 3' sections
and leave it at the curb for the trash men.

Average price for furniture is $1.00 a yd .

Some of the local stores, the ones who pay their installers by the hour, move furniture free. And their carpet and pad are cheaper than the box stores. $3.00 a yd will buy good 1/2" 8 lb pad. And $1.00 a yd to take up and haul away the old carpet and pad.

I can't believe how many people ASSUME Home Depot offers a very competitive price-----------like Walmart just because it's a "warehouse outlet" type business.

We find almost nothing there cheaper that I can shop around and beat their prices and stuff like kitchen cabinets, appliances, flooring and other specialty products are priced at the very top of the market.

So what I'm saying is almost ANY local "main street" flooring store can beat their price and offer vastly more personal and superior service.

It's really a bad place to shop for flooring.

They just lack any expertise...........excepting they KNOW......well, their computers know what the HIGH END MARKET price in that location should be.

Kind of defeats the purpose of "warehouse" or big box store, no?

It's been priced that for furniture since i got in the trade Floor.

I charge separate if they have freezers, [etc].

Yes, installation is free. They are charging me an additional $35 for the trip charge because this place is in the boondocks. I haven't pulled the trigger on the sale yet, but they are placing pressure saying this pricing is only guaranteed until 10/31. The carpeting is just junk IMHO, but for 99 cents a foot, it seemed like my only alternative since many have told me the laminate which I really want isn't doable because of the high heat this area receives in the summer. Laminate I can install myself, but I won't touch carpet installation.

I just have a problem when the padding costs almost as much as the carpeting.

im coming in late to this topic but i would advise carpet tile---peice of cake to install---the rooms dont need to be empty---just shift back and forth with gliders---you can trick them out with patterns and borders if thats your thing---places that need a hard surface can get a glue down vinyl plank---looks as slick as poopy britches

im coming in late to this topic but i would advise carpet tile---peice of cake to install---the rooms dont need to be empty---just shift back and forth with gliders---you can trick them out with patterns and borders if thats your thing---places that need a hard surface can get a glue down vinyl plank---looks as slick as poopy britches

Good idea. Havasu you could install those yourself and save the labor charge.

I'm already installing ~ 250 sq ft of click lock vinyl plank in the bathrooms, laundry room, kitchen, and entry ways. I can't use any glue down due to the high heat in the summers...or this is what I've been told. BTW, that click lock vinyl stuff is nice but so far, the cheapest I've found is $3.69 a sq ft. Yikes!

Ernesto and Floormaven would know more about using carpet tile in the heat than I would. But I can't see why the heat would bother that adhesive.

I did the cabin in my boat with regular multi purpose, and it was dock on the water all summer .
No problems.

Latest posts

Back