Carpet padding

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Floorist said:
Ernesto and Floormaven would know more about using carpet tile in the heat than I would. But I can't see why the heat would bother that adhesive.

Nothing does well in the heat but if you make allowances there's no reason it shouldn't work.

What Maven says. $35? I charge that for a town south, 25 miles and a town north 27 miles. I figure that either are over an hour in drive plus fuel. For me, round trip is 54 miles, which is about 5 1/2 gallons of fuel............. which is pushing about $20 bucks. That means making less than $15 an hour during the travel to the job. Not unreasonable at all.
I'd go for 8# 7/16, long before 1/2" pad. It may not seem like much, but I see more restretches done on installs with 1/2 inch pad.
To the degree that you can stand, the thinner and denser the carpet padding the better.
Go for 7 or 8 lb 7/16" pad.

You didn't mention the carpet type. If it's a loop or berber carpet, I'd say no more than 3/8" pad at the max. If it's a berber or loop, then maybe go for a felt or hair pad................. Think thin and dense.............. better for the seams and seam tape. Better for lessening the issue of restretching, and your carpet will love you.

I wish I could convince Ernesto to come out and install some good stuff for me, but he declined...even with a refrigerator full of beer!

Well now, if it was a fridge full of Blanton's single barrel I would be there in a heartbeat.

The box stores always have a gimmick. "Free installation", but they make you buy their "upgraded" pad which is just a normal pad with an upgraded price. So the price of their pad equals the price of pad plus the price of installation anywhere else. Yeah, "free" installation.

Like when Sears used to install carpet years ago and they had their "Best" pad. But the "Best" pad was not their best pad. That was just the name of the pad. I used to get people who would ask us how much our "best" pad was, and of course it was higher than the Sears price for their "Best" pad, which was just an average pad. Since sears stopped installing carpet, I hardly ever get anyone asking how much our "best" pad is. We sell it all the time because I show it and it's nice. But people don't ask anymore.

$890 to move furniture seems a bit much. For 99 square yards of carpet, we would move 10 pieces of furniture for free. We would move an additional 89 pieces of furniture for $890. That would not include pool tables, grandfather clocks, waterbeds, pianos, large semi-built-in pieces, etc. But you get the idea.

Latest posts

Back