Carpet tiles

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Ever used carpet tiles in a residence? How did it look? Did it work out OK?

One of my cousins is considering putting them in his living room.

i have them in my living room---they look great and are holding up like a champ----------p.s. i loose laid them over hardwood---

I've only done commercial materials but I know there are squares being produced for the residential market. I don't have any idea on price. The carpet tiles I've put in homes were for friends and it was all left over stuff my boss either gave me or sold them for peanuts. It's nice in a den/playroom/basement/addition. I wouldn't run them into a bedroom but for lower end/rentals commercial carpet in the living room and corridor isn't the worse they could do.

saw someone putting them in his basement before looked alright down there, idk about a living room dont think so imo

Ive done a fair share of entryway or three season rooms in carpet tiles and basement areas but I am in a rural area where mud rooms really are mud rooms. I have also done bathrooms in carpet tile where people want the comfort and stability of carpet but not the slickness of vinyl flooring. Its not a normal sort of thing, but if it meets the needs I think its a viable alternative, not necessarily a value add tho.

I went to pull out a frieze carpet and it turned out to be dang carpet tiles. DIY carpet tiles no less.

Carpeted tiles gives an elegant touch to any space and to its decor. I have seen awesome collection of carpeted tiles in an online store. I'm planning the same for my place too.

I have interface in my office at home. No chair pad and they still look brand new. 6,6 nylon be da bomb.

And believe it or not those things can shrink. Fixed some in a Best Buy, sections of the place had gaps a 1/4 inch wide.

I suspect that's why Interface came up with the idea of using those corner tabs. People imagine vinyl is impervious. but nothing but glass is really impervious.

And believe it or not those things can shrink. Fixed some in a Best Buy, sections of the place had gaps a 1/4 inch wide.

We did a Sears in Baldwin Hills about 20 years ago with Lees carpet tile-----the ones with that gummy plastic backing that's a bitch to cut. The whole store was DONE without HVAC.........summer time...........Southern California............

You can imagine when they cranked up the AC.

They all shrunk in the direction of the arrows. So we just picked them all up loosely and re-packed. Probably about 4-5K square yards in all. It went very quick and Whiting-Turner signed the ticket for the labor. We didn't really lose much material. I forget how much the gap was on the end.........just and inch or two. The sides were fine.

Same store about 2-3 weeks later, we had torrential downpours, coupla inches of rain came down in a very short period. Never seen anything like that before or since. They hadn't closed off the roof. Merchandise was already being stocked on the racks and there were RIVERS of water gushing over the carpet. I was laughing my ass off. The super wasn't so happy.

It all dried up and we never replaced a tile because of the rainwater. I guess my point is that carpet tiles are pretty damn idiot proof. You can screw up a hundred ways and still salvage the material.

Hey,

I would like to suggest you Simply Seamless Tranquility Sunset Carpet tile, it looks so nice and feel good to walk on. We have recently used it in our office room its look so pretty, this carpet comes out to approximately $1.95 per square foot.

Angel Brown

Carpet tile would struck if a rooms corner points are unequal....it shows off the mistake.

Certain patterns do highlight irregularities in the wall layout. But that's an issue with any flooring that has similar patterns. Carpet tile comes in most of the textures, styles and colors available in broadloom carpet. They even make very thick, residential type carpet tiles, although primarily it is a commercial product designed for office space and other relatively heavy traffic areas.

In response to cost, I have many people looking for carpet tiles because they think they are cheap like cheap vinyl stick on tiles. But mainly what we have are high quality commercial carpet tiles, and I end up selling them broadloom for a lot less.

Beaulieu used to have residential carpet tiles. That was quite a while ago I saw that and I don't know if they still have them. If I recall, they looked like interlocking puzzle pieces.

Some parts of the country don't need to worry about this, but here in New England we need to worry about moisture. If the carpet tile is going down on concrete (most of the time for us), do a moisture test on the concrete. If you do a moisture test and inform the client of the issue, it is their problem. If you don't do a moisture test, it becomes your problem. Excessive moisture can destroy the pressure sensitive adhesive and turn it into mush. It can cause the tiles to shrink. It can cause the corners to curl.

No matter what the instructions say, let the tiles acclimate on site. They should be installed in a climate controlled building. We've had big issues with contractors that think they know flooring that wanted us to install in cold weather (sometimes freezing cold) in an unheated building. Other times, we've gone in a building that didn't have working A/C yet in the summer, and between the concrete, fresh wall board and spackle and everything else, the walls are moist to the touch. Ummm. No. That won't work either. Sometimes they put a couple torpedo heaters in a freezing cold building and turned them on when we arrived, despite assurances that the building would be "heated". They just don't get it.

The appeal of carpet tile is heavy traffic areas. It is relatively easy to replace carpet tiles in a heavy traffic area (or a stained tile). I'm not so sure this is a benefit in a residential setting. You should be sure the client gets extra carpet tiles when they order the original job, because they may not be available later.

One thing I will say about commercial carpet tiles: Most of them do stand up to a ton of traffic.

And another benefit: You know how you can make excellent seams in broadloom and the client complains about the seams. They point it out to you, and the seam is actually two feet away from the area they showed you. Well, despite carpet tile being nothing BUT seams, you won't get any seam complaints. I don't know why this is, but it's an interesting part of human psychology.

Latest posts

Back