Carpeted bunk rails

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
My carpet experts,

I have two boats, which have a total of about 10 bunk rails. These rails need replacement carpeting all the time, and right now, my only option is to purchase these carpet remnants from a boating supply store, and cost $29.95 a piece.

Worse yet, is that they never seem long enough to cover a rail with one piece of carpeting. These carpets remnants would need to be about 8" wide, and need to be about 28 feet long. I believe what they commonly use is a nylon indoor/outdoor carpeting.

My question is... do you think it would be cheaper for me to find a remnant and cut them myself? Would a carpet company be able to cut them for me? Do you believe this would be a cheaper alternative than spending $300 every few years?

I did the cabin floor in my boat with regular Poly for stain purposes .

Used multipurpose adhesive. Never had a problem .

You should choose material made from UV-resistant olefin fibers. Olefin is used for outdoor carpet and is moisture resistant in that it wicks water out to the tips so it is also mold resistant.

At my Dad's old shop we always got carpet for trailer repairs from Ranger, being he was a Ranger dealer and the factory was just 9 miles down the road.

At UPS we ship several different diameter sized rolls of carpet everyday from Ranger, TI Trailers (now called easy loader), and Bass Cat making me think people order different amounts.

I'm sure buying carpet from these marine manufacturers is higher, but I'd bet it lasts longer than the few years you've been experiencing. I need to redo the bunks on my trailer also. Thanks for the reminder.

Latest posts

Back