Causes for Bubbling slats and floor separation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRed

My former landlord is claiming my floor has been damaged by water. I had a rug over it the entire time (1 1/2) I lived there. I couldn't cause they damage they are claiming and am trying to prove otherwise. The floors are cheap and they didn't seal the cracks there was an inch between the front door and where the slats started. They took $450 out of my security deposit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

image1.jpg

If it was topical water damage the seams would be swollen too. My take is moisture from below. Installation related.

Thanks Ernesto. That is what I was thinking as well but trying to prove this will be tough. They are taking advantage of the fact that I moved out of state, I moved from CA to AZ! I am going to do my best to fight them on it though. I appreciate your input!!!!

That doesn't stop water from being poured on the surface, then it migrated to the bottom, then the liquid was wiped at the surface and edges. I also would like to see a shot a bit farther back, since I do see some deformities in the laminate on the top edge in the pic.

The top edge swells first if typical before bubbles form underneath the surface of the cap sheet.

Here is one showing the gap from the front door to the flooring and another overhead showing the splits in the flooring

image1 (2).jpg

image1 (3).jpg

End joint gap on latest pic seem to be a lock n fold issue. I'd have to be there and site inspect with moisture meter.

I agree as well they were not good at keeping up on anything in that complex. The initial "receipt" I received is claiming that the boards are warped from water damage which again is not true. Thanks everyone for your input it at least will give me some insight to do research, etc.

I would have a independent Flooring Inspector come out and inspect it .

We have them on here from all over the country if you are not to far away .Or we can recommend one .

Hi Nick,

That is the problem. They are in CA and I now live in AZ so there isn't a lot I can do at this point. Although I am going to try to use that to my advantage since they did a pre-inspection saw the floor actually asked me how it happened and if it was water damage. I followed up with an email that was ignored and they never sent me any inspection list to have an attempt to have it looked into which legally they should have done in CA.

This could be from a number of things. What part of the country are you in? Were you given directions as far as in what the flooring manufacturer recommends for you to keep the ambient temperature at in the room? Moisture in the air and in the concrete could affect your flooring. Also moisture spilled directly on top of the flooring could cause this but is not the only thing that could have caused it. Also if this was installed directly on top of concrete with a high relative humidity reading the moisture could have made its way up from the concrete if proper moisture mitigation or vapor barriers were not used? I would have the contractor called out to the house to check these things. This way they can tell you if it was installed properly in the first place. But they may charge you for this service and may be out more than what he took out for the security deposit...

Latest posts

Back