Current news

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feb 16, 2022 — The study found that ethanol is at least 24% more carbon-intensive than gasoline.

In fact, Searchinger's group's study, published online by Science magazine, shows those actions end up releasing huge amounts of carbon dioxide. The study finds that over a 30-year span, biofuels end up contributing twice as much carbon dioxide to the air as that amount of gasoline would, when you add in the global effects... https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...oryId=18784732

A high school girls' Lacrosse team in Virginia wanted to honor their coach. He had spent 10 summers volunteering at orphanages in the Ukraine. So they bought some T shirts that said "Pray for Peace". Then they were told they could not wear them, as they were offensive.

A high school girls' Lacrosse team in Virginia wanted to honor their coach. He had spent 10 summers volunteering at orphanages in the Ukraine. So they bought some T shirts that said "Pray for Peace". Then they were told they could not wear them, as they were offensive.
Saying have a nice day is probably offensive to most people these days. 😖

Want to see what companies in your area got from the government for the pandemic?

PPPloans(and type in your town)
Holy crap. For a town of 17,000 people I think I got to page seven or eight before a business got less than $200,000. Well the government wouldn't let you work so I suppose it wasn't right to everybody go out of business.

Holy crap. For a town of 17,000 people I think I got to page seven or eight before a business got less than $200,000. Well the government wouldn't let you work so I suppose it wasn't right to everybody go out of business.
I got about NZ750,00 a week for four weeks which I thought was pretty good as I was getting the pension as well but I suppose as I was paying tax so its okay. I thought that money was tax free. Wrong I have to loose about 1/3 for tax. A lot of people thought the same as me and now have a big tax bill as they were off work for a long time

Want to see what companies in your area got from the government for the pandemic?

PPPloans(and type in your town)

That will certainly open your eyes.

Just curious as to how many installers got any money from the bailout. How many of you even knew you could? It was a bailout, right? My brother drove for Uber and Lyft so he qualified as a small business and he got some money. The repayment terms are ridiculous. 40 years with 4%? Interest or something crazy like that. He’ll likely be dead before it gets fully repaid. Then what? They take it out of your estate? He tried to get me to sign up and get some money but there’s nothing I want to buy for my business or otherwise. I’m all about being debt free and that’s just one more payment. That and I’m not hurting so why would I sign up for a loan.

Another question is for all those businesses that claimed the money was for payroll assistance, what happens if all your employees were laid off and collecting that sweet unemployment plus government kick?

Last edited:
I don't know any flooring installers that took up the offer but I do know many of the businesses that did and I've worked for many of those business owners over the years.
Every installer that I know has been busy as I've ever been from the beginning of this covid thing until now so there wasn't really any reason for them to try and suck up any money that they didn't really deserve.
Many of the largest businesses received $250 to over $500,000 but I can see how they were much more affected because they actually did have to shut down if not for the federal mandates, for the state mandates so they definitely were hurt by the shutdowns

I got about NZ750,00 a week for four weeks which I thought was pretty good as I was getting the pension as well but I suppose as I was paying tax so its okay. I thought that money was tax free. Wrong I have to loose about 1/3 for tax. A lot of people thought the same as me and now have a big tax bill as they were off work for a long time
We were getting our full 40 hour wages regardless how many hours worked. I lost track of how many days/weeks I got paid to sit home. If I had to guess it was just a few dozen days before the shop was granted
"essential worker" status for installers. Quite often I'd work a few days and get paid for the whole week. I didn't get too many full weeks without any work.

That will certainly open your eyes.

Just curious as to how many installers got any money from the bailout. How many of you even knew you could? It was a bailout, right? My brother drove for Uber and Lyft so he qualified as a small business and he got some money. The repayment terms are ridiculous. 40 years with 4%? Interest or something crazy like that. He’ll likely be dead before it gets fully repaid. Then what? They take it out of your estate? He tried to get me to sign up and get some money but there’s nothing I want to buy for my business or otherwise. I’m all about being debt free and that’s just one more payment. That and I’m not hurting so why would I sign up for a loan.

Another question is for all those businesses that claimed the money was for payroll assistance, what happens if all your employees were laid off and collecting that sweet unemployment plus government kick?
The Paycheck Protection Plan was a 1% loan from the federal government to be used for wages, benefits, rent, mortgage (interest) and utilities. So in your hypothetical case the shop doors could stay open with the rent/mortgage/utilities paid. The shop would pay back any unused funds +interest MINUS those monies "forgiven" for the expenses of keeping the rent and utilities paid up.

I'm not familiar with the loans at 4% over 40 years but it's a pretty sweet deal for any business that has legitimate capital needs or in fact any GOOD uses for the money. Obviously, you don't take out debt for foolish expenditures. In the case of a death the Executor of the Will or a Probate Court would be liable for paying off the debts of the estate before disbursing assets to family and heirs.

Last edited:
I had been doing some random googling and came across the PPP loan to the shop I'm working for. The loan was "PAID IN FULL OR FORGIVEN" for $366K. It also stated that this was based on 23 full time employees. That was the most confusing aspect because I never could figure out how they were treating marginal/transient labor. I suppose it was completely up to the discretion of the shop who could be eligible for unemployment and who would get the PPP Loan paychecks.

The amount of the loans were based on PROVEN tax receipts for the payroll of the previous months/years so that was how a company was eligible for up to a million dollar, practically free loan. There would be no good reason not to accept that loan and pay out to ANY worker. But I know quite a few business that simply refused on principle.

Latest posts

Back