Danger, Danger Will Robinson

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Post card I got today in the mail.

001.jpg

I guess they missed those guys who demo'd the bathroom I bid on and did not get. Built in the 50's, has to have some lead in there somewhere.

im lead certified----one of my accounts paid for the class---its a joke----standards are changing so fast that by the time pamphlets are printed they are obsolete---current advice is to download standards off the epa website--they change at least weekly--i did ace the test though and i got a diploma---wooopeee

My 100lb roller was my Grandpas. All cast iron. He never greased it and neither have I, in fear that some day, some sort of fuzzy metallic grease infused goober would fall from it's innards and leave a permanent stain on someones precious floor covering.
Well, the squeaking and squealing finally got to me today.
I removed the cotter pin, the axle and the three rollers from the handle and gave em a light spit shine. I cleaned the inner wheel surfaces of all the rusty dust, grime and ingrown carpet fibers, then proceeded to clean out the inner bearing surface of each roller with a rag loaded with paint thinner. Once clean, I ran a rotary flapper type sandpaper wheel through the holes to remove whatever else was in there.

...........to my utter amazement, each roller has a thick wall lead bearing cast into it.......... well, lead or babbit.

Is my van, the warehouse where the roller is usually stored, and every home and business it was ever used in since 1975 now a candidate as a Superfund site? :eek::eek::eek:

I am going into hiding now ...my real name is Francis ... Francis Highup, and I live in Greenland ...a warm and sunny hillside in Greenland. :eek:

Last edited:
im lead certified----one of my accounts paid for the class---its a joke----standards are changing so fast that by the time pamphlets are printed they are obsolete---current advice is to download standards off the epa website--they change at least weekly--i did ace the test though and i got a diploma---wooopeee

I agree-awaste of good time.

Daris

I agree-awaste of good time.

Daris

They could require that all contractors to purchase a lead danger information packet for $15 so they would have the knowledge on safe handing practices.
...................... Nope, not enough profit and can't levy fines that way. :rolleyes:

I can see painters being required to pass some sort of class on lead handling since they do "occasionally" sand old paint for a living.

Last edited:

Is that like asbestos? A local church told me that they were exempt from asbestos abatement rules, as long as members removed it at no charge.

yuppers--even here in mass--the homeowners can do what they wanna---rub it in their armpits--whatever---and once it is in the dumpster its not toxic anymore

Latest posts

Back