Dell Inspiron 1200 Laptop

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
It's 2002 XP home Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_qfe.130704-04-0421
1.3ghz processor
505 RAM
Customer called me up and said: ya want it?
............um ......yes.
She removed all her photos and stuff, but her name and password are still on it.
I promised earlier to give her a photo. Framed that up and we made the swap........... I feel guilty.
Should I?
This one sure isn't gonna pester me with updates, ....that's fer sure. :D
Do I have nice clients?

Battery was dead, so I got it chrged up.. Set up a connection and it dias up......... but then keeps telling me:
Error connecting to MSN
Error 691 Access denied because user name or password was invalid on the domain.
I typed everything in same as on my PC, but it's not working on this Laptop.

Error 691: Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain.

This error is generally caused by you using the wrong username or password. The "Include Windows logon domain" check box is selected or the "Require secured password" setting is selected.

Fix 1 - Fix 2 - Fix 3

FIX 1:

Confirm Username and Password or renter them before connecting. Check that Caps etc are not on. Most logins are case sensitive.

FIX 2:

Click "Start", point to "Connect To", and then click your dial-up connection.

Click "Properties", and then click the "Options" tab.

Click to clear the "Include Windows logon domain" check box (if it is selected), and then click OK.

FIX 3:

Click "Start", point to "Connect To", and then click your dial-up connection.

In the "Connect" dialog box, click "Properties".

Click the "Security" tab.

Under "Security options", click "Allow unsecured password" in the "Validate my identity as follows" box, and then click "OK".

Let me know if this does it for you , If not i believe you have the XP Disk . Easier to just install windows again..

This morning it says no dial tone. When I get home from work tonight, I'll compare my firewall exceptions tab and see how that compares to those on my PC. I recall some AOL stuff on the laptop.
I don't know how that XP disc will work since this is a laptop. I mean the laptop has batteries and the XP disc I have would have any power settings for battery mode..... right?

I recall inserting it into my PC once and it said it was non compatible

I will Nick. Not in the mood to screw with it tonight.
I thought it was interesting the laptop's XP ID starts out with 76477-OEM and my PC starts with 46487-OEM Both 2002
Laptop is Home, PC is Pro.

Last edited:
There are a lot of different versions of the OEM Hi, That is why your XP CD wont work . It is a older version then what is on the confuser ..

I don't have the factory CD that came with my PC. I don't know what version the one that I have is. If it wasn't compatible with the PC, then it's not compatible with the laptop....... they're both 2002.
I just need to figure out why it's complaining about the MSN password or user name. Not big on my mind right now. It's one of those 'round tuit things.

If it was setup with a network, I suppose I can somehow "unset" it from being part of a network? She still has a PC in the house but she's stopped using the computers and uses her I-pad for everything now. Maybe she had the laptop and the computer on a network. I don't know if her internet was through the cable company or phone company. if that makes a difference.
I saw a bunch of AOL stuff in that options tab. I'm assuming AOL stuff came with the computer. She's even less computer illiterate than I am. Other people set up her computer stuff for her.

I'm still not doing anything on the laptop till I finish a carpet installation I'm working on. I'm hoping to complete it tomorrow. I forgot how much I hate woven goods. Takes the after work energy right outaya. :treadmill:
I'm gonna get a splitter so I don't have to unhook the PC in order to hook up the laptop.

If it was setup with a network, I suppose I can somehow "unset" it from being part of a network? She still has a PC in the house but she's stopped using the computers and uses her I-pad for everything now. Maybe she had the laptop and the computer on a network. I don't know if her internet was through the cable company or phone company. if that makes a difference.
I saw a bunch of AOL stuff in that options tab. I'm assuming AOL stuff came with the computer. She's even less computer illiterate than I am. Other people set up her computer stuff for her.

Check out the link i posted Hi.

Here's a few printscreens from the laptop.
When I power it up, image one appears.
When I click on "settings" near the top of that window, image #2 appears.
I'm guessing she was using a network?
I don't see a reason to have a network, just a dialup connection.
Here's the Dell instruction page. Image 3

So how do I get rid of the network problem? Do I just modify the network host name and port number so they are the same as on my PC, or delete the network and go with the dialup instructions?

AIM waiting for network.JPG

Settings-connection.JPG

Connection and network setup.JPG

Latest posts

Back