disabled senior needs help.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fysty-1

I am a long time DIYer & am very knowledgeable with most aspects of home renos but now with mu age & disability I have slowed nearly to a halt. I need to remove the carpet from my bdrm but cannot get down on the floor to cut it.
My query is....... is there a long handled carpet knife out there that I can purchase or do I have to fabricate something.
The carpet is not normal as it is installed in an RV that I live in full time & the walls are (& cabinets) are installed on top. I am not looking for a hire of a contractor as I do not have a budget for that& I can do it my self with the right tools, but I have not been able to find. Thanks so much cheers Angela (aka fysty-1) :)

I just got through cutting and pulling up a house full of wall to wall carpeting and I'm not sure I could have done it without getting down on my hands and knees. Where do you live? Could you contact elder services or local churches, Boy Scouts, etc. to see if they could provide a volunteer? If you live near me I'll come over and do it for you. I know it's not easy to admit that there are certain things that one can no longer do but that's the reality of life.

Mods and administrators have a quick access to the member's IP address, so we just insert the IP address into a IP checker, it will provide the location where the member is posting from. It is great for spam checking.

Mods and administrators have a quick access to the member's IP address, so we just insert the IP address into a IP checker, it will provide the location where the member is posting from. It is great for spam checking.

Thank You.
Also, I wouldn't be able to make good on my offer.....my passport is expired.

Last edited:

We can usually tell if a poster is prespam by country of origin. Some times they will post a normal post which will show when we click "New Posts". Then they will come back and add in spam, because it won't show as a new post and they hope that we will miss it. We can even tell if they are using a proxy server. They post from a foreign country and route it through an American IP. The one I use can even tell me if they have been blacklisted from other sites.
Most spam comes from Pakistan, India, Russia, Albania and China, but we do get U.S. based spam, too.

Thank you all for your assistance & as I am definitely not spam, lol I live in western Canada in a city called Surrey in B.C. I am about 3 mi(5km) N. of Blain WA. or 20 mi N. of Bellingham, WA. I'll check out the link that Ernesto suggested. Thanks JIMMIEM for your offer of help. Cheers Angela

Dude, thats double the price on tools4floors.com. lol

Ernesto, I am sad to say that tools4floors.com is no longer in business. Google that name & you get an ad for the web page. Thanks anyway. Where about in Mi are you? I'm quit familiar with the area around Port Huron (used to jam on Sundays @ Dutch's outpost). Used to live in SW Ontairio, CA. Cheers Angela:)

Angela, a friend of mine is a teacher at a local high school and she says that they are always looking for volunteer work for honors society. Maybe if you contact your local high school you can let them work off some volunteer hours doing it for you.

Just out of curiosity how can you tell where a poster is located?

If you look to the left where the avatar or member name is you will see the location. You need to go to the user CP & edit your profile with your location. easy pesasy. oh I should mention I am on about 20 different forums over half of which are Goldwing sites. I prefer forums over any other social website.:D:D:D

If you look to the left where the avatar or member name is you will see the location. You need to go to the user CP & edit your profile with your location. easy pesasy. oh I should mention I am on about 20 different forums over half of which are Goldwing sites. I prefer forums over any other social website.:D:D:D

One thing to note of before you start cutting. RV manufacturers us staples to hold the carpet in place. You couls easily run into gobs of small staples which are a real pain to remove. Many are of course under the fixtures and walls, but if they places staples along a wall, you might be hitting a staple every inch along your cut line. Also, if after the carpet was installed, they saw a small bump under the carpet from a tiny scrap of pad or a screw............. they have been known to literally 'sew' the bump flat with a dozen or more staples.
You might be able to get the carpet up in the center of the floor just fine, but if there are a lot of staples right along a wall, it can be a nightmare.

I found a way to deal with those staples, using this saw.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/FEIN-Multimaster-Oscillating-Multi-Tool-Kit-FMM-250-Start-Q/202980163

There are much, much cheaper tools like this available. Some are probably $40.

You can cut the carpet using the saw blade, oriented in a vertical position against the walls and cabinets............... With the blade pointing straight down, and parallel with the wall, be careful to angle the blade slightly away from the wall, so it doesn't scratch the paneling or woodwork.
Once I discovered this method, I'd never try to use a knife for removing carpet in an RV again.

I agree with the others mentioning finding someone to assist or volunteer helping with this. RV's are tight quarters to work in and personally, I don't see anything good happening if the person removing the carpet can't work in a sitting and kneeling position. I say this, because I'd hate to see you get the carpet partially out, then be left with a torn up mess, and unable to get down and finish up along the edges.
RV's are really nasty to do flooring work in, even for us pro's.

Latest posts

Back