Advice on vinyl vs. laminate brands

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken said:
And if you're using "soap and water" you're definitely not doing it right. That's why they look dingy.

There a dime a dozen the salesmen in the industry who are willing to put the onus on the customer instead of admitting to misspecifying a product with a lifestyle.

Ken said:
DO NOT BUY ONLINE!!!! More trouble than its worth and no warranties.

This couldn't be more untrue. Online commerce is a billion $ industry with a very small percentage that go wrong. I've had many, many customers who bought on line and can only recall one shipping damage issue that came through ups.

As for warranties, where does it state the manufacturer warranty is void if not purchased through a brick & mortar dealer? As for seller's warranties just look at the Uniform Commercial Code.

Ken said:
I've installed many laminate floors in kitchens, gone back years later to install other rooms and they still look great.

You've been installing for what- 4 years? Does that sampling size really qualify as "years later" on a floor that's supposed to be warranted for 25?

You've been installing for what- 4 years? Does that sampling size really qualify as "years later" on a floor that's supposed to be warranted for 25?

Actually my first one was about 10 years ago and it was in...yup, a kitchen. The homeowner still follows my cleaning instructions to this day and the floor still looks fantastic. Bottom line is, whatever you feel, if you clean a laminate floor with soap and water, instead of the recommended cleaner, its going to look horrible in a short amount of time.

Ken said:
Bottom line is, whatever you feel, if you clean a laminate floor with soap and water, instead of the recommended cleaner, its going to look horrible in a short amount of time.

You're missing my point; I was referring to lifestyles. Some active lifestyles simply call for something more aggressive than a swiffer. Which makes laminate a poor choice.

Laminate is an excellent choice for a very busy household, if you get the right one and clean it properly. Not aggressively, definitely not with soap and water, but with an appropriate spray cleaner. We have been using them in the majority of our new construction homes and also commercially for a number of years now. There are laminates that continue to look great for ... can't say how long, because they haven't stopped yet ... but they certainly aren't 69¢ a square foot.

Tia
A Million Dollar Per Dozen Salesperson

Latest posts

Back