I'm calling it. Laminate is dead.

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When the Side joints on Quick Step swell from to much R/h And temp, Do they shrink again when the site conditions return to normal ?

Depends on what you mean by "swell". If the floor simply expands without crushing the edges and locking mechanism, yes. If the core is visibly swollen like topical water intrusion into the seam then no.

of course laminate will last forever----who in their right mind would even hint that anything would ever change in flooring----------kanga back and interflex forever!!!!!------------woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

of course laminate will last forever----who in their right mind would even hint that anything would ever change in flooring----------kanga back and interflex forever!!!!!------------woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It all comes down to maintenance and how well you take care of your floors. I put original pergo (glued T&G) in my partners living room and dining room back when it hit the shores (90's). Its still in perfect condition. Lasted through two large Dobermans and two miniture dobermans. No kids. :)

It all comes down to maintenance and how well you take care of your floors. I put original pergo (glued T&G) in my partners living room and dining room back when it hit the shores (90's). Its still in perfect condition. Lasted through two large Dobermans and two miniture dobermans. No kids. :)

Didn't it have a plywood core back in those days?

i like how ernesto refers to broadloom as crappet----would it be wrong to refer to click formica as lame-inate? frank zappa was quoted as saying *jazz aint dead but it sure does smell funny*-----lame inate----the jazz of the flooring biz

i like how ernesto refers to broadloom as crappet----would it be wrong to refer to click formica as lame-inate? frank zappa was quoted as saying *jazz aint dead but it sure does smell funny*-----lame inate----the jazz of the flooring biz

I do enjoy me some jazz once inawhile, rather listen to some blues. Buddy Guy is coming to Tucson!

I was thinking the parquet we installed in the early 80's had a plywood core, but I could be wrong.

All the parquet I installed was Bruce, either solid or 3 ply engineerd. Sold outa Standard Brands as well as retail outfits.
It actually was my second installation of wood I ever did. The people who owned one of the oldests flooring stores in town called Carpet Giant; called my boss (licensed contractor) who installed for the other stores to install the parquet because they didnt want their own installers knowing where they lived. :rolleyes: I ended up doing it, all the while hardly knowing my azz from a hole in the ground as far as wood goes. I just treated it like a VCT job. :eek: My boss gave me a compund miter saw, some glue and basically threw me out in front of the bus. First wrap around walls I ever did too. I was scared to death.

Thats the first time I pulled out my chalk line and did control lines.

That was probably 1979 ish.

Last edited:
Anything like "New York Carpet World"? What a scam operation that was.

I LOVED New York Carpet World. I wish they were back.

First, they advertised like crazy, which generated demand for carpet. Then they sold carpet like a used car salesman. People would get all pissed off, and come to our store. It was easy selling after they went there. They'd give us a deposit just to protest the treatment they got at New York Carpet World. They were actually great for business.

They were great for reverse grained seams. Here's what one client says they told him about the seam: "Put a lamp over it."

I wish I was making this stuff up.

They actually called me and offered me a job. I was supposed to lay about 100 yds of berber. With me in the warehouse, they started rolling out the berber and the backing was falling off. When I said something about it, they told me to go ahead and install it. They said that when it failed, they would take care of it. It was supposed to go in a big family room and on stairs. I just got back in my van and left. They didn't last long in KC.

There is chain in KC, Carpet Corner, 6 stores I think. Hundreds of rolls in stock. Promised installation within 48 hours, Very picky about installers, I worked for them for a couple years, just got tired of all the miles. Always took care of complaints. No way that NY Carpet World could compete with them.

Now the bad part about being an installer for Carpet Corner. Not unusual to drive 100 miles a day and no mileage money. If you had two jobs for the day and the morning one was near home and the afternoon one was 50 miles away, you were not allowed to switch them. They had 35 crews scheduled every day. The top 10 or so crews got around 100 yards a day,(at least 3 days a week, we had pattern match berber), the next group got 50-60 yds a day. The bottom 10-12crews got 30-35 yards a day. Those guys couldn't really make any money.

i remember new york carpet world-----free instalation--------hmmmmmmm---they told us not to worry about that part-----the base pad was called---white cloud---and reminded me of wonder bread but thinner---then the salesmen got started----they had pad as much as 20 bucks a yard and that was in the eighties---ahhh they joys of high pressure bait and switch flooring sales

i remember new york carpet world-----free instalation--------hmmmmmmm---they told us not to worry about that part-----the base pad was called---white cloud---and reminded me of wonder bread but thinner---then the salesmen got started----they had pad as much as 20 bucks a yard and that was in the eighties---ahhh they joys of high pressure bait and switch flooring sales

They were competing against Sears and the paper thin white foam that was free. Ever try installing the Sears monster 180 oz plush over that thin krap? I walked off of the first one because I couldn't place the carpet without the pad getting scrunched up under it.

Latest posts

Back