Dust Control

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msinstallations

So how is everyone handling the dust control in your work environment.

I have gone to using a vacuum with a double filter and if I drill into concrete I run a vacuum by the drill bit to suck up the dust, its getting to point for me I use a N95 dust mask more and more. I am thinking within a couple of years it will be standard to isolate the area we work in and run a air scrubber for a period of time after we are done.

I was working in the local hospital tearing up and reinstalling carpet, they required that we run a air scrubber in the room while we worked, I can see this happening more and more in the future.

That is one of the big issue in our jobs, I haven't found a final solution for that yet, It is not just about doing clean job, it is also deals with our health

Whenever possible, the shop vac is outdoors with the hose running inside through a doorway or window. I have saved all my shop vac hoses over the years and keep em all hooked together. I'd much rather have the noise bother the neighbors, than the homeowner and myself. :D

Whenever possible, the shop vac is outdoors with the hose running inside through a doorway or window. I have saved all my shop vac hoses over the years and keep em all hooked together. I'd much rather have the noise bother the neighbors, than the homeowner and myself. :D

Thats a great idea Higher n higher. So is a nice hepa filter on the shop vac.

Running a shop vac will certainly help it wouldn't have the air scrubbing capability of a normal scrubber but it would help.
Bad part about a scrubber or using a vac the dust may be vacated from the room but the installer is still breathing it in the mean time. I find myself using a dust mask a lot more often as of late.

I think lung problems are prevalent in the construction industry as a whole, trouble is we don't realize we have a problem most times til its to late.

Hook them all up!

Cat-10 Brazilian Koa 016.JPG

LM Flooring Maple Naildown 009.JPG

Dewalt grinder 004.JPG

Dewalt grinder 010.JPG

Last edited:
Working with a mask is a good practice, I always tell people it's the dust you don't see that does the most harm. The large particles of dust will settle down and get vacuumed up, the smaller particles are more like a aerosol that will get into your lungs and even into your bloodstream.

That is one that's worth looking at for sure. Myself I have been using the Craftsman with the high end filters. They have come out with a dual filter option using a bag, the filter stays fairly clean but there is some dust getting through the bag.

That is one that's worth looking at for sure. Myself I have been using the Craftsman with the high end filters. They have come out with a dual filter option using a bag, the filter stays fairly clean but there is some dust getting through the bag.

I was using the same thing MS. My shopvac was several years old and getting tired. Been trying to get one for over a year now but something else always took precedence, your health should be first.

I looked at quite a few, there are more powerful ones that are way more expensive. I can't afford 3 grand for a vac though. I believe the hepa one is rated for lead as well.

For 300 bucks including 2 micro-prefilter bags it's a steal at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QX1TJ2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I beat the crap outa that vac today, took up 300 sf of tile, all the grout stuck on the floor. Rather than chisel off it I took my grinder to it with the dustie cover on it and hooked up to the vac. I re-used the disposable micro prefilter three times. :D Then it ripped. Lucky I ordered 2 extras. It was like dustless in there. Worked pretty well for the extreme abuse I put it through.

Tomorrow I laminate the place.

Latest posts

Back