Fitting under expansion gap

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelondonuk

Hi all. I have just bought my laminate flooring and an oscillating saw in order to cut the expansion gap at the bottom of my skirting in order to fit my flooring under. I was going to remove the skirting but would be too much hassle repairing the plaster etc.

My question is, how do I fit the laminate flooring panels under the expansion gap on both sides? The only two ways I can think of is 1. Start at a door way, slide one row under, clip another row and then slide it down, then another row and slide down and so on. However I can see it getting rather heavy and unable to slide over the underlay neatly. 2. Cut the flooring so that it only goes under the skirting on either side a little bit so that it can go fully under one side, and then slide over a tad so that it is just under both ok either side, however you aren't going to be able to clip another row on as it'll be wider than the rest of the skirting.

Can anyone shed any light on how to do it please? I've searched YouTube but can't find any videos.

Thanks in advance. Steve.

Hi all. I have just bought my laminate flooring and an oscillating saw in order to cut the expansion gap at the bottom of my skirting in order to fit my flooring under. I was going to remove the skirting but would be too much hassle repairing the plaster etc.

My question is, how do I fit the laminate flooring panels under the expansion gap on both sides? The only two ways I can think of is 1. Start at a door way, slide one row under, clip another row and then slide it down, then another row and slide down and so on. However I can see it getting rather heavy and unable to slide over the underlay neatly. 2. Cut the flooring so that it only goes under the skirting on either side a little bit so that it can go fully under one side, and then slide over a tad so that it is just under both ok either side, however you aren't going to be able to clip another row on as it'll be wider than the rest of the skirting.

Can anyone shed any light on how to do it please? I've searched YouTube but can't find any videos.

Thanks in advance. Steve.

By skirting I take it you mean base boards? Most people pull the base off then re-install it. Or, put on 1/2 in base shoe. You can also shave the locking mechanism lip off so it slides together while laying flat add some T&G glue and tape it for awhile.

What brand laminate is it?

Latest posts

Back