Floating Floor Catwalk

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shubox56

Hi guys,

While fixing numerous subfloor issues, I'm considering the replacement of carpet on the catwalk and 2nd floor hallway. That said, the attached picture shows a mockup of .25 underlayment and a piece of the vinyl flooring. Easy enough to swap the carpet for the floating floor, but I'm not sure how to deal with the butting up of the planks to the oak banister. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20231208_081530.jpg
    20231208_081530.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Tackstrip is 1/4 inch so it looks like you'll end up with a 1/2" drop from the hardwood.
You can buy a tapered reducer for hardwood floors and modify it by notching the end to overlap the LVP.

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_091335834.jpg
    IMG_20231208_091335834.jpg
    867.2 KB · Views: 0
Options, you got options. You can bump it tight and caulk it. You can undercut it and slip underneath. You can buy or make a threshold piece to cover the gap. Or you just go buy a piece of maybe 3/8” quarter round or screen molding and stain/ finish it to match the bannister.

Here’s an oak stair nose I made the other day out of a couple pieces of flooring. It matches the stair tread profile vs a LVP stair nose cus you know how the LVP stair nose look. It laps over top of the LVP so the floor can still move.

IMG_3892.jpeg

Thanks, CJ. If I install .25" underlayment, undercutting the banister base wouldn't be possible. If I scrap the underlayment, it's doable. I'll look at various trims before making my choice -- carpet or LVP.

Latest posts

Back