Framing Mistake

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krp41151

My house has a crawl space, I have added on a room and the floor in that room is 1/8 to 1/4" lower, unfortunately. This is new construction and I am ready to lay flooring. I am using laminate. My question is can I use two layers if padding in the area that is lower, to somewhat take out the mistake in framing? This area will have little traffic as it is a room that will only be used on occasion. Thanks

My house has a crawl space, I have added on a room and the floor in that room is 1/8 to 1/4" lower, unfortunately. This is new construction and I am ready to lay flooring. I am using laminate. My question is can I use two layers if padding in the area that is lower, to somewhat take out the mistake in framing? This area will have little traffic as it is a room that will only be used on occasion. Thanks

Nope. The padding isn't really "padding". It acts more like a silencer so the boards don't clatter against the subfloor or underlayment. Is this room the only one that will receive laminate flooring?

How big is the room? Possibly a cheap vinyl floor could be layed in over the entire room. Some of today's solid vinyl floors are pretty thick and that would make a consistent 1/8" or so difference in one shot.

Last edited:
I've used underlayment like Quiet Walk with an attached cushion laminate floor with success many times. It should not be a cheap foam underlayment. You could also glue down cork,

You can also buy a thicker laminate like a 12mm which will bring you up.

Latest posts

Back