Grout and thinset issues

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darol Wester

Professional
Pro
A house we worked in last summer had a ton of tile installed on the floor and counter tops. My friend who is the GC just called and said that the grout has been crumbling loose in several places on the floor only. The tile guy returned and repaired the problem a while back but it's starting to be an issue again in other spots. Also, he said that when they pulled up a couple tiles, the thinset was reacting the same way. I'm not up on the procedures these days, but my first thought was the material had too much water in it.

If you guys could give me some ideas, I'll pass them along to him.

Thanks!

It could be several things, but most likely the crumbling grout is because there is movement in the subfloor. No movement, no cracks.

We can offer suggestions if we knew exactly how the subfloor system is built, pics would also help. Also include what type of tile backer was used, if thin set was applied under the boards, seams taped etc....... Include the specific brand of mortars and grout used and the qualifications of the tile setter who did the work.

Re grouting the spots alone will not fix anything, as you already know.

Jaz

I agree with Jaz on the movement and over watering the grout. Probably not enough water on the thinset as the water can be sucked out to fast with an adsorbent substrate. Then also skinned over thinset along with no back buttering will also cause that. Add in movement and you've got a catastrophe!

Hi Guys,

Floorist&Nick said:
Glad to see you back Jaz.

I'm doing..... I'd be better if it wasn't for my knees and back.:eek:

I've been kinda busy this past year mainly cuz we re did the kitchen totally. Removed a long wall to make one large area instead of kit/dinette & living room/dining room.

Been pushing way too much snow these last few weeks and coping with very cold temps. Hope everyone is fine too.

Lets keep those tile related Q's coming in. And, please try to ask before you do the work. :D

Jaz

I looked at the weather tonight . we are getting 3 storms sun ,mon, and tuesday . No mention of all that snow .

Got in from Vegas at midnight and it was clear. It is now snowing, we are supposed to get 5-8 " and then another storm coming in next Tues or Weds.
Man it was so nice in Vegas temp always in the mid 60's or higher. Almost makes me want to become a snow bird. But I do like winter just not so harsh as this year.

Daris

Got in from Vegas at midnight and it was clear. It is now snowing, we are supposed to get 5-8 " and then another storm coming in next Tues or Weds.
Man it was so nice in Vegas temp always in the mid 60's or higher. Almost makes me want to become a snow bird. But I do like winter just not so harsh as this year.

Daris

Did you ever meet up with Jon?

Here is a picture of me shaking hands with him. But you have to look close.

Daris

P1010141.jpg

Here is a picture of me shaking hands with him. But you have to look close.

Daris

Wow, I knew Jon was fast.....Don't think I have ever seen a picture of Jon. I did talk on the phone with him once and that was fun.
Do you have any pictures of Surfaces to share? Maybe a rare picture of Roland with coffee? :D

This could be related to using an incorrect amount of water when mixing the grout. Adding more water may make grout easier to apply shortterm, but it can have negative affects on the installation afterward. That's why it's so important to follow the grout manufacturer mixing and application instructions!

Latest posts

Back