Gun free zone

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the example of gun violence and the 2nd Ammendment there are legitimate statistics to be collected and interpreted by "scientists" but where you fall on the laws and enforcement again, that's an entirely different realm. If we're hoping to solve real problems with effective law and enforcement that begins with honest science and some basic agreement on the harsh realities.

If the layman, politican or media refuse to acknowldge hard facts there's not much point in discussion and empathy leads nowhere better than closing your eyes and throwing darts.

Serbians---------according to a recent news report I just saw are turning in their guns after two mass shooting that happened recently. What a coincidence they are one of the last bastions of independent government in Europe-------not ruled by NATO and the West.

Hey! Turn in all your guns right now? What could possibly go wrong?

Personally I am very suspicious about every aspect of this story from beginning to end. And we're a long way from the end. Serbian people support Russia for very historic, cultural and religious reasons. Yeah, they dont need guns.

First off I have a real hard time believing the veracity of the news report. I hope it's BS----------fake news like we get here from (the same) Globalist Corporate Media.

70% of all violent crime is committed by black males, mostly 10-25. Prosecute them. Make it a minimum of 10 years for any crime with a firearm. If that does not work, make it 20. There was a survey out a few years back, and most young black men said they did not expect to reach their 30th birthday. Increase police in the worst areas. As big as Chicago is, almost all of the violent crime is in 5 neighborhoods. Trump offered to send in help to police those areas and was called racist.
And accept the fact that it not racist to target young black men since they commit most crimes.
Do cops profile young black men? Of course they do. They are more likely to get shot by a young black male than any other group.
And do like they did in St Louis. If a prosecutor does not do their job, remove them from office. Given a chance, many in black communities would like these young men prosecuted. In St Louis, black families were asking for the prosecutor's removal. She dismissed charges against 12,000 mostly young black men that the police had arrested. Murder charges were dismissed because prosecutors did not show up in court.

Serbians---------according to a recent news report I just saw are turning in their guns after two mass shooting that happened recently. What a coincidence they are one of the last bastions of independent government in Europe-------not ruled by NATO and the West.

Hey! Turn in all your guns right now? What could possibly go wrong?

Personally I am very suspicious about every aspect of this story from beginning to end. And we're a long way from the end. Serbian people support Russia for very historic, cultural and religious reasons. Yeah, they dont need guns.

First off I have a real hard time believing the veracity of the news report. I hope it's BS----------fake news like we get here from (the same) Globalist Corporate Media.
Jon Scanlon, our late friend, said that when New Zealand ordered guns turned in, an estimated 90% refused. About the same amount as in Australia. According to some news sources in Australia, they have a huge black market guns.

Science is all about questioning the scientist, research methodology, collection and analysis of statistics, institutional bias, journals that publish the studies and so on. Really when you boil it down that's what it's about. One experiment and study published is (always) meant to lead to more, better designed research to confirm or deny the truth. In fact, amongst the highest acheivements a scientist can earn is being cited in subsequent research. A Google Scholar is judged by his h-index or i10-index meaning his study lead other scientists toward more research. Here's a completely random example of an anonymous Scholar: Marco Mravic

How the stats are then presented by the media and used by the public enters into another realm----------usually political/religious/philosophical. I think most people get confused or at least choose the wrong words when they criticize "The Stats". The vast majority do not understand The Scientific Method. But at the same time they can smell BS when it's piled up too high and a little too close to home.
One thing about stats..... Perfectly accurate or not, if performed the same way, they at least show a trend.

Jon Scanlon, our late friend, said that when New Zealand ordered guns turned in, an estimated 90% refused. About the same amount as in Australia. According to some news sources in Australia, they have a huge black market guns.
The news (propaganda?) showed an enormous haul of guns supposedly turned in voluntarily by Serb citizens. So even if the photo and story are genuine that still tells us nothing about how many citizens held onto there guns and how many guns were still in circulation. Given the recent and current political violence in and around the Balkans I find it MORE than hard to believe that anything close to the majority would participate-------even if it were mandatory. That's why I'm calling BS.

One thing about stats..... Perfectly accurate or not, if performed the same way, they at least show a trend.
Sure, they could show trends---------or not. Either way if the experiment is constructed well it would say something relevant about the subject matter.

I think one of the biggest confusions is how stats in the Social Sciences can be minsunderstood to be comparable to statistics in STEM fields. Economics, Psychology, Politics, Criminology are not sciences that can generate indisputable conclusions. Of course that doesn't make those fields useless, just much easier to fudge the data and pervert honest analysis. For the most part the actual research is being done by graduate and post graduate students who are diligent and have integrity. The corruption and misuse comes from where the reseach is funded and then how it can be abused when circulated to the public.

The news (propaganda?) showed an enormous haul of guns supposedly turned in voluntarily by Serb citizens. So even if the photo and story are genuine that still tells us nothing about how many citizens held onto there guns and how many guns were still in circulation. Given the recent and current political violence in and around the Balkans I find it MORE than hard to believe that anything close to the majority would participate-------even if it were mandatory. That's why I'm calling BS.
Absolutely BS.

Could be a new and effective military strategy. Just ask your enemy to give you their guns…:rolleyes:

If it makes you guys feel better, I beat my kids. Just trying to do my part.
100 different people would define "beat" 100 different ways. In my most common use of the word you don't beat your children or your wife.
You might need to throw a few beatings around to friends and others who desperately need one.

20 smacks on the buttocks with a belt isn't a beating to me. Neither is a slap.

Around the truth? That doesn't make sense to me. There's enough of a challenge to humanity finding truths, relevant data, valid statistics and intelligent analysis.

Everything not working towards that or from that I cant see wasting time with.

I’m revisiting your reply with different eyes today and I believe we are very close, if not spot on to agreeing 🤷🏻‍♂️….. I said Truth is the starting point for everything but not the finishing point , to me that sounds a lot like your last sentence above.

All I’m saying is don’t get caught up in the Truth to the point of disfunction, because sometimes science and statistics don’t always complete the picture around finding the truth and in those cases it’s up to us to use social skills to navigate around an invalidated truth. Hint > pick a middle of the road solution that considers both sides of the interpreted truth, until irrefutable evidence is found.

100 different people would define "beat" 100 different ways. In my most common use of the word you don't beat your children or your wife.
You might need to throw a few beatings around to friends and others who desperately need one.

The shepherd uses a rod to guide the sheep and to beat off the wolves. Most children need guidance ( language providing boundaries and choices) but I wouldn’t be opposed to increasing the guidance when appropriate with a slap on the butt.

20 smacks is a little excessive to me. Never a slap to the face[head]. My mother refused to spank us kids because once she started she couldn't quit, it became abusive. I was afraid of the same thing so I only gave my son 3 smacks on the ass. One time it was a willow switch and left welts, I cried as hard as he did and never used a willow switch again. I had about a 3/8" thick piece of wood off the edge of a 2x4 and put his name on it. All I had to do is get it out of the drawer where it was kept and instant change.

Last edited:
20 smacks is a little excessive to me. Never a slap to the face[head]. My mother refused to spank us kids because once she started she couldn't quit, it became abusive. I was afraid of the same thing so I only gave my son 3 smacks on the ass. One time it was a willow switch and left welts, I cried as hard as he did and never used a willow switch again. I had about a 3/8" thick piece of wood off the edge of a 2x4 and put his name on it. All I had to do is get it out of the drawer where it was kept and instant change.
It's all about conditioning. Kids naturally test the limits, but the parents set the boundaries. That's what a parents job is all about.

that is exactly what I am saying. In no way did I beat my kids but they knew there would be consequences if lines were crossed and the punishment fit the offense. 90% of the time just knowing that did the job. A little spanking goes a long way . I guarantee they never thought of picking up one of my guns and pointing it at anyone . that would have been big consequences.

that is exactly what I am saying. In no way did I beat my kids but they knew there would be consequences if lines were crossed and the punishment fit the offense. 90% of the time just knowing that did the job. A little spanking goes a long way . I guarantee they never thought of picking up one of my guns and pointing it at anyone . that would have been big consequences.
I started hunting when I was 8. But gun safety was ingrained in me long before that. My dad was not a hunter, but my older brother taught me everything that he knew. And I grew up eating all kinds of wild game.

Latest posts

Back