Heh heh heh

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did a restretch the other day for a client who had the kicker jockey's install the floor from HD. That tool would not have cut it.

I doubt very seriously it pulls anything more than the span from the foot to the head.

Ernesto said:
I doubt very seriously it pulls anything more than the span from the foot to the head.

I saw one demonstrated at surfaces. I was impressed with it. Thought it could totally replace a knee kicker. If u use it on angle you can, as jim Ryan used to say, see and feel the stretch.

I saw one demonstrated at surfaces. I was impressed with it. Thought it could totally replace a knee kicker. If u use it on angle you can, as jim Ryan used to say, see and feel the stretch.

That thing and the spike uses the same mechanical properties as a power stretcher, only the power stretcher's pulling capacity is not limited by it's foot planted into the carpet three feet away. It pulls off the opposite wall.

Ernesto said:
That thing and the spike uses the same mechanical properties as a power stretcher...

The spike has no moving parts. As you pull the material it rides up and over.

If you pull hard the material bunches up behind the tail. After you pin and release the bunch flattens out. Similar to using a deadman. Great for stretching the short side on patterns too.

The spike has no moving parts. As you pull the material it rides up and over.

If you pull hard the material bunches up behind the tail. After you pin and release the bunch flattens out. Similar to using a deadman. Great for stretching the short side on patterns too.

And that "bunch" flattening out as you release it means lost stretch. Besides that it don't work on concrete.

Actually, you can get the stinger to grab on concrete. I have used one in a pinch. I bought one originally when I was seaming double wides together and you had some wierd angles and many times the walls wouldn't hold a pole stretcher.

Actually, you can get the stinger to grab on concrete. I have used one in a pinch. I bought one originally when I was seaming double wides together and you had some wierd angles and many times the walls wouldn't hold a pole stretcher.

Thats what the spike was designed for-trailer houses. I've done the marriage line and there was a picture of one stapled to the wall with one. Only thing was in the picture the tool had 3 spikes in it. It was a mill that made carpet strictly for trailers. I think they are out of business now.

Daris

Can't remember the width of that carpet, just remember it was odd sized. I know in the ones where it was already installed,it was a nightmare getting the wrinkles out. It did pay well, tho.

Even with the stigma the industry places on the spike its hard not to appreciate the fact that its a tool that gets the job done.

Just as a general comment on this topic. I have seen both the stretcher mentioned as well as the knee kicker used but I have also seen the first one used in a large room that had an 8' extension between the head & the spikes. It would seem to me that using any kind of short stretcher in a larger room would be a waste of the installers time. Please remember that I am siting logic & not experience as I have none of that. lol

I always thought that laying carpet on concrete was a no no? Doesn't concrete wick water? You need a vapor barrier & subfloor first. fysty-1:confused::)

It depends on the concrete. Installations on concrete are very common. Once in a while, moisture is an issue. Sometimes concrete has a vapor barrier, and sometimes concrete, especially on or above grade doesn't allow enough moisture to build up and cause a problem. Padding and carpet can vent some of the minor moisture that wicks upward and never cause a problem. That said, it's worth paying attention to.

Latest posts

Back