How do you hook up two monitors to a PC?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Be nice to have two displays so I can set one monitor to look at a photo, then use the other to do color corrections and other fixins.
Lookin at the original image on one monitor would make it easier to see how my modifications look when compared to the original.
I might have a used freebie available.
I know it would be best to have two identical monitors, but the lottery is screwin up the numbers every week......... I think it's rigged. :D

That's funny! You need to check the back of the pc tower if you have 2 monitor outlets if not you can pick up a 2 in one monitor wire at staples, once installed you will have to change the settings in your display set up for 2nd monitor.

Will your 1974 Commodore support two monitors?
Now I'm not sure if I have room for two monitors............. the camera I'm installing above the monitor is gonna take up more room than I thought. :eek:

my monitor camera.jpg

I was doing a job for this software engineer guy a couple months ago, had five screens and a laptop hooked up and running so he could see how the build went together I guess

I bought a cheap HP graphics adapter card on ebay that I put in my '05 Gateway. I run a 28" and 17" (had a 19" but it died). If you have video graphics built in to your motherboard you need the adapter card.

I've never seen a "2 in one monitor wire", but I do have a vga splitter but with that you get the same display on both monitors.

Last edited:
My favorite way to get multiple monitors up, is to get 2x SLI-enabled video cards into a computer (No worries though, even one can suffice). That way you've got enough GPU power to run whatever you want with minimal lag. This can get pricey, but is especially useful if you run multiple layout programs like cad software or home design suites. Also, there are ALOT of grapcics cards that go on sale as their bigger badder siblings get released almost quarterly. You can pick up a decent card nowdays for roughly $140 after rebates n whatnot, but it pays to be in the $170 range if you use graphics rendering for projects.

Refer to examples:

CARD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

SLI-Rdy card Diagram
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19127-01/ultra27.ws/820-6771/images/DualMonPlugIn.gif

QUESTIONS!? Ask me! :D

Last edited:
I bought a cheap HP graphics adapter card on ebay that I put in my '05 Gateway. I run a 28" and 17" (had a 19" but it died). If you have video graphics built in to your motherboard you need the adapter card.

I've never seen a "2 in one monitor wire", but I do have a vga splitter but with that you get the same display on both monitors.

Heck, I wouldn't know if I have a 'built in' video graphics thingamajig in my computer.
How do I find out?
It's a 2002 SONY VAIO PCV 830

My favorite way to get multiple monitors up, is to get 2x SLI-enabled video cards into a computer (No worries though, even one can suffice). That way you've got enough GPU power to run whatever you want with minimal lag. This can get pricey, but is especially useful if you run multiple layout programs like cad software or home design suites. Also, there are ALOT of grapcics cards that go on sale as their bigger badder siblings get released almost quarterly. You can pick up a decent card nowdays for roughly $140 after rebates n whatnot, but it pays to be in the $170 range if you use graphics rendering for projects.

Refer to examples:

CARD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

SLI-Rdy card Diagram
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19127-01/ultra27.ws/820-6771/images/DualMonPlugIn.gif

QUESTIONS!? Ask me! :D

I'm in way over my head askin this stuff.............. what's a GPU?

I'm low end here............ still in the stone age and using dialup.:eek:
My largest 'purchase' in the past 4 years was my rent. :rolleyes:

I was just hopin there was an easy way to get two monitors goin at the same time. I don't need the newest, fastest or latest of anything. My confuser is a 2002 Sony VAIO and it's plenty new enough for my budget.

Last edited:
Heck, I wouldn't know if I have a 'built in' video graphics thingamajig in my computer.
How do I find out?
It's a 2002 SONY VAIO PCV 830

I'm in way over my head askin this stuff.............. what's a GPU?

I'm low end here............ still in the stone age and using dialup.:eek:
My largest 'purchase' in the past 4 years was my rent. :rolleyes:

I was just hopin there was an easy way to get two monitors goin at the same time. I don't need the newest, fastest or latest of anything. My confuser is a 2002 Sony VAIO and it's plenty new enough for my budget.

GPU is Graphics Processing Unit. Video card.

Your computer specs can be found here:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/specs/PCVRX830spec.htm

Looks like it has a basic VGA port. You can use a vga splitter but all that does is put the same image on 2 screens.

The good news is your computer's got 2 PCI slots. You should be able to buy a graphics card that lets you use 2 monitors for 2 separate images at once.

If you refer to the link in my previous post, you'll see the type of card you ought to be looking for, but make sure you mention your computer type in store to make sure the card fits.

Thank you for that info. I have all the computer specs, just don't know all the computer workings and what they do, or can be modified to do.

No problem, happy to help. I've linked up the manual for the machine at:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/PCVRX830_QS.pdf

If you refer to Pg. 12 of the pdf, the layout leads me to believe the installation of the card Maven linked above would be easy to install.

It doesn't illustrate whether it's a panel-based case or the entire outer shell comes off, but that's not a big deal. Take off the screws fastening the right panel, and see if it'll come off easily. if it doesn't, remove the screws on the outer edges of the case, til it slides off and you're left with the interior showing.

You'll see the insides of the machine. This is a great time to use some compressed air to clean it up so it runs cooler n doesn't burn out parts.

Once it's relatively clean, take your newly acquired video card and clip it into the AGP slot. The easiest way to find the proper slot without knowing technical computer stuff is to measure from end to end of the card's gold-plated teeth, and determine which is the best slot for it to fit into. Remember to take note of the little partitions in the slot which correspond to the gaps in the card's teeth.

Last edited:

...but I am broke! :D
Monitor issue isn't priority, just curious if it was something simple. It would make doctoring my photos a lot easier if I had the original image on one screen and the one being 'treated' on the other.
I looked at the price of high resolution monitors made for that purpose ..........and I'd rather get a new van. :D

If I'm not mistaken, this is a picture of the same motherboard found in your PCV-RX830.

Focus on the area highlighted in teal. (Gotta incorporate C1 colors somehow. XD)

That area is where you'll determine the right slot for the card. It's as simple as snapping it into the right slot.

(unless you decide to go for a fancy super-card which needs a separate plug from the power supply. [Power supply is found by following the electrical cable from the wall to the point where it plugs into the computer])

bpc.jpg

Latest posts

Back