In town WIFI hot spots

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Since mt HP tablet hardly works with my dialup modem, I stopped around town to see where free WIFI connections are. Library has one, and so does the City in a couple of places. Safeway has one and others including restaurants and cafes.
I'm asking about these, not for regular or daily internet use. Just for occasions where I might decide to use the tablet if I take it with me on the road.
For laughs I picked up a signal that read. "CIA surveillance van" ....that site was locked. :D I found that signal when parked at the Goodwill re-sell parking lot which is 500 feet away from the Social Security Office. I thought it was pretty funny.
Anyway, what security measures and settings should I use if I use one of those downtown hot spots?
I saw a setting on the laptop that was set on "hide" or "indivisible to others"
....something like that.
A lot of people regularly use these free WiFi spots.
What's some security advice and computer settings to check when using them? It has Windows 10.

Last edited:
If you don't want Windows 10 to make those automatic connections, change the Connect to suggested open hotspots setting (under Settings, Network & Internet, Wi-Fi, Manage Wi-Fi Settings) to off.

https://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/network/connections/wireless/windows/win10.html

http://searchenterprisedesktop.tech...ind-Wi-Fi-connectivity-settings-in-Windows-10
I'll look at those links. I don't see a reason to connect automatically since it just takes a second to do it manually.
My concerns as a newbie to this sorta thing, are mostly security issues.I assume they are safe since people use them a lot.

Learn how to configure your Windows 10 computer to use Wi-Fi Protected Access-Enterprise (WPA2-E) at UC San Diego. It is in one of the links .

Not a good idea to leave it on Automatic..

Learn how to configure your Windows 10 computer to use Wi-Fi Protected Access-Enterprise (WPA2-E) at UC San Diego. It is in one of the links .

Not a good idea to leave it on Automatic..

I saw that ...but I don't live in San Diego. Daris wouldn't have understood that either. :D

You sharing your diner? :D
Nope. If they were allowed to get their own, they'd eat the ice cream before dinner and spoil their appetites. ...their parents are out of town, so I volunteered to hang out so they don't get lonely (or crap in the house) ;)

Latest posts

Back