Event ID 12

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
This is on a HP laptop with Win 10 version 10586.164
There are more errors, but this one says "firmware . Looking up 'firmware', it looks to be almost anything.
Computer has been having issues even tho I haven't really used it, ...other than poking around to see what's in it and where to find stuff.
The start "button" and connections "button" on the task bar don't work. I have to right click, then go to the connections tab to get to connections.
Since the start tab won't open, that means it doesn't open the cute little app and program tiles.
Cortina doesn't work either......... not that I even know what that does yet......... this laptop is new to me, so I haven't really used it for much of anything.
I don't think the screen brightness control has ever worked. Maybe I'm setting it wrong.
OK, so about that event ID 12............... being the previously mentioned things stopped working, what's going on? What firmware does this describe?
This confuzer doesn't like my dialup modem much, so I can't really use it without going to a free wifi source like the library.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028443/how-to-troubleshoot-event-id-12-with-source-microsoft-windows-hal
https://www.howtogeek.com/210186/what-is-the-difference-between-bios-and-firmware/

Last edited:
Hi, Let's run a Memory test first to see if you have bad, or corrupted ram .

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=BraHJIC1zOf_aQH7A4YcyA&bvm=bv.79142246,d.cWc

Event ID: 12

Description: The platform firmware has corrupted memory across the previous system power transition. Please check for updated firmware for your system.

Now if this where my laptop, as 2 or more items are trying to use the same section of ram, I would roll back as far as I could. May end up trying a complete restore.

Be sure to check device manager for errors first. Maybe able to figure out what is trying to use the same section of ram address and move it.

I haven't done anything on the computer since I talked to you and told you the problem was fixed. In addition to having the two task bar Icons functioning again, the computer screen brightness dimmed considerably.
I then remembered that brightness control had never functioned. I guess that problem resolved itself also.
I'll download the mem test thing when I find time. Been busy and just haven't had time to mess with it.

I would run mem test to make sure it is not the ram ..
I'll install the new AV first, then download the mem test. The confuzer is almost useless on dialup, so I haven't made a big effort to do much.
Maybe it will perform a little better without McAfee. It would be nice if it's speed was at least comparable to my PC

I'm not expecting any miracles. Just curious if changing AV's will make any difference at all.
Hoping it will go from unusable to slightly usable. :D

I'm planning on Avast. Never had any issues with it nor been infected by anything.
I'm not using the notebook yest. I'm still on XP and using my PC. I paid $130 for the HP 14" notebook... spur of the moment buy because of the discounts. Bought it as a backup since my HD is slowly failing............ or some other issue.

Latest posts

Back