Is this a good deal?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
A local store (Monoprice) is selling this Dell notebook for $339.99. Does this seem like a good deal? Also, based on the wording posted below, is this a Win 7 unit? What does it mean to have Win 8.1 pro license and Media?

Dell Vostro 15 3000 15-3558 15.6" LED Notebook - Intel Core i3 i3-4005U Dual-core (2 Core) 1.70 GHz VOS35583750 - 998-BMNX
BTO Dell Vostro 3458,4th Generation Intel Core i3-4005U Processor (3M Cache, 1.70 GHz), Windows 7 Professional English/French 64bit (Includes Windows 8.1 Pro License and Media), 15.6" HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Display, 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (4GBx1), 500GB 5400RPM Hard Drive, 8X DVD+/-RW, Intel HD Graphics 4400, 802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.0, Dual Band 2.4&5 GHz, 1x1, Standard Keyboard, English, 40 WHr, 4-Cell Battery (removable), 45W AC Adapter, 3Pin, VGA out, RJ-45, Power, headphone/Microphone combo jack; (1) USB 3.0, (2) USB 2.0 ; SD Card Reader, Integrated 720HD camera with microphones, 1 Year Hardware Service with In-Home/Onsite Service after Remote Diagnosis

It is a Win 7 notebook Hav , with a license to upgrade to 8 which i wouldn't do .
The I3 chip is the slowest of the Intel I chips Next is 5 then 7.

You have enough memory . 4 gigs is a minimum for notebooks .

Not a bad deal Hav.

Rusty, I really like the Dell computers, but it seems everyone is getting rid of the disc drive. Costco has a full size 15" Dell, but has Win 10 and touch screen. The lady there says with the touch screen, you can install the quick view apps and touch to jump from site to site, but again, it's Win 10...no disc, for ~$979. Don't know what else but I'm sure it is a good one....Maybe?

We have owned a bunch of Dells. Hard drives are good for 2 or 3 years, tops. My son has a $1500 Dell gaming laptop that lasted 18 months. My next laptop will be a Toshiba.

This Dell I am using has blue-screened twice in the last week. It's almost 2 years old. I have 2 other laptops but this one has the 17" screen.

Since Costco has such a great return policy, I'm trying to limit myself to what they,carry. Problem is most of their laptops seem to be HP, and I despise those boxes.

Do they even make new computers? A couple years ago, HP said they were getting out of computers.

Not much Nick. Primarily to send and receive emails, navigate the 25 forums I work on, and photo storage. Not much else. I'm also considering still using the dvd player to watch movies.

Then you want something with a fast processor , and good graphics card for the movies. large hard drive , Cd/DVD Player .

When i do watch movies it's a dvd. TV sucks. Let me see what i can find for you without breaking the bank.

I'd love for you to jump on Costco.com and find one for me on sale!

Actually, my goal is to find a lightweight 15" laptop, without the numbers tabs on the right side of the keyboard. I am so use to them not being there and since I'm not a CPA, they are unnecessary.

hp google chromebook. Very cheap, but is very reliable.

Refurbish pc, Walmart and Best buy are 2 examples that have them.
Dell Optiplex 960 with 4 GB ram should do nicely. Or something newer will do too.

Since Chromebook was mentioned. Here is a used nice one for a C note / plus shipping (100 bucks if nobody else bids on it) with nice specs and a 13 inch screen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Chr...294705?hash=item2a64d4cf31:g:oN8AAOSwud1XAooB

Just stick a SD card in it for extra hard drive storage. I like my Chromebook and it is older than the one I just showed. No anti virus needed.

SD card or Pen drive also stores my movies. No need for dvd player anymore.

Latest posts

Back