Laminate flooring on squeaky timber?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee_UK

Hi,

Hubby and I and decorating the house before our first baby is born (due in August). We have explored our options and we thought laminate flooring would be best for the bedrooms. However, we have squeaky timber all over the top floor and we were wondering if it would wise to lay laminate on top of it. If it's ok, what can we do to make sure the new flooring is fitted well and avoid creaky laminate in the future? Or should we consider carpets instead?

Any help is highly appreciated :)

Hi,

Hubby and I and decorating the house before our first baby is born (due in August). We have explored our options and we thought laminate flooring would be best for the bedrooms. However, we have squeaky timber all over the top floor and we were wondering if it would wise to lay laminate on top of it. If it's ok, what can we do to make sure the new flooring is fitted well and avoid creaky laminate in the future? Or should we consider carpets instead?

Any help is highly appreciated :)
Is the "top floor" mentioned already covered in laminate or carpet? I'd certainly re-nail or screw down the floor to eliminate the squeaks before proceeding.
Existing floor surfaces need to be very flat if you install laminate. Any high spots or low spots need to be corrected (leveled or filled) so that the new laminate floor doesn't flex or bounce as it's walked on. The flatness tolerances are typically less than a 1/4" deviation in 10 feet to meet the manufacturers requirements.
How old is the home, and what kind of surface will the new flooring be layed on? ......plywood, particle board, strip wood floors?

It had carpet that we've already removed. The house is from the 1960s and we're thinking of laying the new laminate flooring on top of a hard board and underlay. Is laminate a better choice here or carpet?

Installing laminate on upper levels of a house or high rise is an every day occurance. Just make certain you screw the squeaks down like Highup said. And make sure you use an underlayment, either attached underlay or separate roll.

I think it is better to get the floor fixed before you begin laminating it.Firstly you locate the precise location of the squeak and then drill the pilot holes and fasten the board to the joists along its entire length by using a drywall or any sheet metal screws. The joists are easier to find, you can see the line of nails where the floorboards are attached to them. You can drive in the screws into the boards adjacent on either side, following the joist beneath and into the timber board.

I'd agree with the other posts, first fix wood flooring by helping the subfloor, applying some filler to make it mode flexible, add extra support underneath (in case under is the seller) and then put some soft underlay under the laminate like foam or foam and rubber so it will keep the warmth from seeping under and disappearing.

Latest posts

Back