Linoleum used as an under cabinet liner question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I was recently listening to a few folks discussing using linoleum remnants as cabinet liners (primarily under sink and potential wet areas) and they asked me what would be the best way to secure it. Not securing it will cause curled up edges, glue is too permanent, nails look tacky, so what do the experts think would work the best to secure this?

Did a recent vinyl/laminate job and told the lady to use the scraps of vinyl for under the cabinets. She loved the idea. Course she had me do them. O Got some sticky strips of Velcro you can buy.
But when I was a kid my dad loose layed some vinyl in our bathroom. Threw some newspapers under it.....for Lord knows what!
Worked out pretty damn good for twenty years until I put ceramic tiles in there. The newspapers were still in great shape.

Last edited:
Jon said:
It just lays flat, have a look at the samples which have been around for a long time

That's exactly what Lino does. I think folks might be confusing Linoleum with sheet vinyl.

If the piece lays flat and is fit neatly, put a small bead of caulking around the perimeter under the lino to adhere it, then add another small bead on top to stop the curl. Just be sure the bead is complete, so of water gets on it, it can't get under it.
.........or staple it with your hammer tacker. :D

Me :D
Well it doesn't curl like the old stuff. It just lays flat, have a look at the samples which have been around for a long time

Yeah, it's vinyl that wants to curl. If linoleum is curling there something else going on like mishandled, defective product, spills or dramatic temperature change.

Did a recent vinyl/laminate job and told the lady to use the scraps of vinyl for under the cabinets. She loved the idea. Course she had me do them. O Got some sticky strips of Velcro you can buy.
But when I was a kid my dad loose layed some vinyl in our bathroom. Threw some newspapers under it.....for Lord knows what!
Worked out pretty damn good for twenty years until I put ceramic tiles in there. The newspapers were still in great shape.

Newspaper was used under lino in the 50s. It was cheaper than tarpaper.

Latest posts

Back