A few questions about glued wood over linoleum

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurence Rubin

Looking for some advice please. I live in a home on a concrete slab probably built in 1947. About 20-25 years ago, I put down an engineered wood floor over old linoleum tile over the slab. It was getting a bit worn, and then our water heater burst and flooded the floor and now it's worn AND water stained.
I bought a few boxes of 3/8" engineered wood to replace it. I didn't want to put the new over the old, because I was concerned there might possible be mold or water still under the floor. So I started to pull of some of the old wood to see exactly what was underneath (couldn't remember). I was hoping not to find glue, but the wood was glued to the linoleum. Then I was hoping I could get the wood off the linoleum without ripping it out, and put the new wood over the linoleum. Unfortunately some of the linoleum broke off - not most, but some - exposing what I believe is black mastic underneath.
I DON'T want to start a big conversation about asbestos, so maybe we can skip that part just by saying that black mastic could contain asbestos, and you don't want to breath disturbed asbestos.

So my question is what's the best way to install the new flooring at this point? Should I not rip up any more of the old floor and put the new over it, or should I be concerned that since it was wet there could be mold underneath? Is there a way to maybe get a blade between the old wood and the linoleum so I don't disturb the black mastic under the linoleum, but can still get the old wood off the linoleum and put the new over the linoleum, filling in any sections of linoleum that might break off? My preference would be to get the old wood floor off the linoleum and put the new wood over the linoleum...any thoughts appreciated - please no long lectures on black mastic...Thanks!
Larry in Boston

Prolly not going to be able to separate the wood from the linoleum with much success. Best thing to do would be to send off a sample of the linoleum and a sample of some adhesive and have them both tested. Prolly the best $50 you’ll spend and you’ll know your options a little better when you get the results.

Prolly not going to be able to separate the wood from the linoleum with much success. Best thing to do would be to send off a sample of the linoleum and a sample of some adhesive and have them both tested. Prolly the best $50 you’ll spend and you’ll know your options a little better when you get the results.
.....and once you do, the government will have you on permanent record as an asbestos worksite. Can-o-worms that you may not want.
......just yet anyway.
The "broken linoleum" at the early stages can be filled in and made flat again.
How large an area is the damaged area?

Latest posts

Back