New Article for Review

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came in good for me.

Nice article.

Regarding the topic, we have a successful plumbing forum where many times a day, laymen (DIY'ers and contractors) come in seeking advice from licensed plumbers on how to correct/fix/modify their plumbing problems. It has become very successful and seems to be a great balance. I just wonder why many of the flooring professionals are reluctant to provide helpful information, but the plumbing professionals seem to have no objection?

I have belonged to a DIY chatroom for several years where pros from every trade help DIYers. It is one of the busiest forums on the internet. I myself, have asked questions of pros in other trades who were very willing to help.

I honestly see both sides of this argument.

I've spoken to plumbers who offer advice, and they enjoy helping others as a way to show off their knowledge, and it only takes a "thank you" as a much appreciated gesture.

I can understand why a flooring expert would be reluctant to provide advice, but in reality, do you honestly believe they will all pay for advice, or will they attempt to fix/repair/install the flooring themselves, whether it is done correctly or not?

Well, you can only dumb down plumbing so much. There's codes that go along with that as well. Not sayin I've not seen some shoddy plumbing repair work. But in all reality, its piping with valves and fittings.

Just sayin the floor DIY craze has gone to far IMO. The man is trying his hardest to eliminate the professional installer. And it makes this trade seem unskilled at best. My article speaks for itself.

Well, you can only dumb down plumbing so much. There's codes that go along with that as well. Not sayin I've not seen some shoddy plumbing repair work. But in all reality, its piping with valves and fittings.

Just sayin the floor DIY craze has gone to far IMO. The man is trying his hardest to eliminate the professional installer. And it makes this trade seem unskilled at best. My article speaks for itself.

I will agree with you there. Almost all the ceramic and vinyl installed here is DIY. Also the laminate. Only leaves carpet.

Well, first of all, I've commented on this topic to no end so I'm tired of it. Secondly, I think I coined the term "floorums"...no credit- Jeez. Thirdly, you got censored. Did they cut out anything good?

I hearby give Kenneth Frango credit for coining the word "floorums". :)

I give Davis Kern (VP of floorbiz) editing privildges. Course it's his website so he would do it anyway. I think thats how it works in ragmags anyways. Censored? Not sure, I'd have to read the original document to make sure. sheesh I wrote that months ago.

Carpet? Heck, if I were a DIY'er in need of carpet I'd simply go buy me some fuzzy carpet tiles.

Just not but three days ago I recieved an email from a DIY'er in Phoenix about his failing solid strand bamboo floor (cupping and lifting/buckling)that found some posts of mine on another "floorum". :) He recieved bad info from his handyman and the Lowes guy who sold him hardwood flooring thats only made for engineered. I'm afarid thats going to go in the trash can.

Last edited:
Many times I have been in to install carpet after the HO has installed tile and/or laminate . They are so proud and it looks like my 3 year old grandson installed it.

Not wanting to derail this thread any more, but a co-worker once invited me to look at his entry way tile job. The grout joints varied from 1/4" to 3/4", and the line fell to the right by over 3" in a 10' span. To make matters worse, he used a bright blue grout on a white 12" porcelain tile. Really pathetic, but he was proud as a peacock!

Latest posts

Back