OSB Subfloor T&G Noise and More

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trick will be finding the perfect drill/dowel combo for a snug fit. Fluted might be best??? I dunno. Do it to one section that's noisy and stay off of it for a few hours.
If you like it..... You're on your way.
This will help to make a clean hole.

Attachments

• IMG_20231208_101155096.jpg
    IMG_20231208_101155096.jpg
    1,018.7 KB · Views: 0
Is it common for builders to glue an OSB subfloor T&G seam? I know that gluing the field is common, but not sure about the T&G seam itself.

I've seen it, but agree it's not common. It should be for reasons like yours. If they just put a single 4 inch bead, 1/2' in diameter in the center of the joint between the joists.....

....but holey crap, that might take over an hour per home and $30 worth of adhesive. Contractors aren't made of money. 😂
They don't care. It slows down the job.

Last edited:
Ok, so I removed 8" of drywall because the screws didn't eliminate all noise at wall. In doing so, I noticed that a non load bearing wall had a gap between the sub and baseplate. And a few of the stud had a gap at the top of baseplate. It's this relationship that's likely causing the noise. I'll have to buy shims (sub to baseplate gap) and add an L brace to tie the vertical studs to the baseplate.

Attachments

• 20231213_115132.jpg
    20231213_115132.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Something like this for the verticals.

Attachments

• C_E20-3_ProdPho_Pho_Prod_AngleBracket-CLT_C0.jpg
    C_E20-3_ProdPho_Pho_Prod_AngleBracket-CLT_C0.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 0
Ok, so I removed 8" of drywall because the screws didn't eliminate all noise at wall. In doing so, I noticed that a non load bearing wall had a gap between the sub and baseplate. And a few of the stud had a gap at the top of baseplate. It's this relationship that's likely causing the noise. I'll have to buy shims (sub to baseplate gap) and add an L brace to tie the vertical studs to the baseplate.
I don't see any nails in the stud.

There's no way to go under and screw the OSB to the plate..... I mean, instead of shimming?
Sure, if I remove ceiling drywall. The sag (gap) isn't across the entire 10' partition wall, and where it does sag, it's about .06 on average (the thickness of a tongue depressor).

The townhouse will definitely be rather pathetic at 80 years old. It's rather pathetic now IMHO.
But you're doing the right thing. Yours could end up being the last man standing.
I hope what your doing is working out well. Not many go above and beyond like you've done.
Sorry I've been a bit bad at responding this week.

Latest posts

Back